Sign in to follow this  
GymRat

Trailer size

Getting ready to purchase a trailer for my pressure washer, roof cleaning rig, and ladders. I have read threads suggesting for one to buy a dual axle trailer vs the single axle model due to the weight of water carried on the trailer.

I was interested in buying a single axle 5x10 open utility trailer for my needs. Maybe I'm cheap, but for the house cleaning I mostly do, I don't see where a large water tank will help. A 200 to 300 gallon tank is not big enough to do very much cleaning. Am I looking at this all the wrong way or what. Thank you for your suggestions.

John

We use a 6x12 and it has proved quite nice.

Dual axle helps a lot with ride quality, 15" tires/wheels are a must, electric brakes worth more than they cost, and the extra room fills up fast..

We use the water tank as a buffer between the house supply and the machine demand. We rarely haul water, only keeping somewhere around 50 or 75 gallons to start up with, but when necessary the 300 gallons available can be quite handy.

I'm not sure about prices in your area, but the difference in price between the 5x10 and the 6x12 was only a couple of hundred dollars and we are awfully happy we chose the bigger of the two..

Go with a tandem axle!! I had a skid mounted hydrotek and a hose reel with 100' of pressure hose on a trailer with two 750 lb springs and thats whats left of one of them. I wish I could have photographed the thrashed tire and the bent wheel but they are long gone. You can bet I am going with a tandem from now on.

post-364-137772139884_thumb.jpg

post-364-137772139894_thumb.jpg

I have a 7X14 Tandem enclosed trailer with 3500 lb axles and would not go any smaller than that. My next trailer will be 16' enclosed with 5000 lb axles. I do have a single axle trailer but rarely use it and never haul water on it. In my opinion brakes are a must when hauling water.

I agree,

Buy all the trailer you can afford. You will grow out of a small trailer immediately. Also the water tank also enables you to bypass water through your pump (given the right unloader and plumbing) into the top of the tank continuously running cool water through your pump, that alone makes having a water tank worthwhile. I'm only about 30 miles from you, if you need any help or would like to see our setup please let me know.

Mark Crump

Be Clean

I have both single and tandem axle trailers, and I can vouch that the tandem axle trailers are better balanced, and overall a better choice. I know it adds a few hundred to the cost, but a trailer is something you could have for many years, so it's best to get a good one up front.

I have a max width trailer that is 12 feet long. It is something like 85" between teh fenders. It is also rated at 10,000 lbs. I had this trailer custom built. I have two water tanks on it, side by side at 225 gallons, each, the pressure washer sits in front then a pressure hose reel with 200 feet on it, and 300 feet of feed hose on the back. I also have a reel for a vacuum hose for recovery purposes. The way it is set up I still have room for a water jet on the back between the hose reels and the tanks.

This works for me. Anything unusual goes in the pick up bed.

The reason I went with a 12 foot versus a bigger one is because they fill up. Of course, I do ZERO residential. All government work.

Scott Stone

GymRat

Go with a tandem 7X14. Believe me, you will use up this space in no time. Pluse the single axle if not properly balance with your equipment will cause the trailer to sway when going do the road. I searched and researched the cost of the single axle vs the tandem and it was a no brainer. By the time you get everything for this business together to do a variety of jobs, you will be thankfull for the extra space. Mine is a Haulmark 7X14 double axle, side door entrance and semi trailer doors in the rear. I have a connection with a dealer in NC, that I supply parts to that maybe I can see if he can cut you a deal. I paid $2300 for a $5000 set up.

Degraffreed

$2300 is a helluva price for a tandem 14' long enclosed trailer! I found a good deal on an open tandem trailer(3500 lb axles). Break on one axle, split mesh drop gate, 2in square tubing for frame, 16'L x 77"W, pressure treated floor for $1200. Thats the best there is around this part of the country. What are some prices for other parts of the country?