Sign in to follow this  
John T

Is your company prepared for the next Superstorm like Sandy?

Question

Are any of your guys geared up to be able to get called from FEMA or many 1000's of homes that need to get pumped out when the next big Hurricane or Super Storm comes about?

The Albany 2013 event listed in the regional areas on TGS is going to have Matt Johnson and Tom DeFrancesco speak about their experiences in dealing with the aftermath of Super Storm Hurricane Sandy that hit us in the Northeast.

Do you guys have vacuum setups to work with insurance companies to deal with flood control?

What's some of you guys thoughts on this?

Edited by John T

6 answers to this question

John, you make it sound like it is an easy service to offer (LOL) water damage restoration is complex and a very expensive service to prepare for to offer.

I won't go into the details, will save that for Albany. But as an example, the testing equipment required can run into the thousands of dollars.

Learn more About the adventures of Super Storm Sandy.... Join us in Albany

Mathew Johnson

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John, you make it sound like it is an easy service to offer (LOL) water damage restoration is complex and a very expensive service to prepare for to offer.

I won't go into the details, will save that for Albany. But as an example, the testing equipment required can run into the thousands of dollars.

Learn more About the adventures of Super Storm Sandy.... Join us in Albany

Mathew Johnson

Looking forward to hearing about it for sure in Albany.

I would like to think that I am prepared, if not "the group" is prepared. I am sure that no matter what comes along, there are always unexpected things that will happen and make you feel like you were not completely prepared. I don't wish these tragedy's on anyone, but if they happen, we can be there to help out.

I would like to think that I am prepared, if not "the group" is prepared. I am sure that no matter what comes along, there are always unexpected things that will happen and make you feel like you were not completely prepared. I don't wish these tragedy's on anyone, but if they happen, we can be there to help out.

I agree Mike. You may or may not agree with me, but someone who has the opportunity to do this type of work may be best served by teaming up with a company who has done a lot of it. A sound understanding of Psycometric monitoring and manipulation is needed to assist in eliminating the risk for lawsuit and providing optimum results.

Vacuuming up water just scratches the surface when it comes to what needs to be done on a flood damage cleanup project. The additional equipment needed for these types of projects will shock you. From external structural drying furnaces, to oxygen / smell binding generators to dessicant dehumdifiers (some cost upwards of 10 to 12 grand), it is a specialty service that requires specialty equipment. With the three of us, Mike, Tom Defrancesco and Myself, We have over 60K in just drying equipment that we use for our projects

In todays society of "lets sue someone" mentality, Flood Clean-up a very high risk service that you can get sued over in a heartbeat.

Any folks in that come across the need for this service may want to give Mike or Tom a call. They know their sh, have the equipment and can get it done, done right and done quickly.

Seems like a good niche market Matt. Smart of you guys to team up together too, sounds like a win win to me.

If you didn't get all the super storms though, do you think that would be a good investment to have the equipment? Is there enough regular work to make it worthwhile?

We offer the services year around and have since 2005 or 2006. I did a presentation on this several years ago at ACR roundtable. You have to have a solid pressure washing biz base and be well capitalized when the time presents itself. As far as worth it?, that comes down to one's expectation on ROI.

Me personally, I just like owning all of the cool equipment we get to use

Mathew Johnson

Edited by Mathew Johnson