Sign in to follow this  
John T

Who's stained wet wood?

Question

I use to check wood with my wood dampness meter. The magic # was around 15% or less dampness before you should stain. Here where I live it's pretty damp. I did run into drying problems over the years because of the dampness but the one thing I never wanted to try was these stain products that state you can stain when the wood is WET.

Has anyone tried any of these stain type products and did you find the saying that if it "Sounds to good to be true" it really is to good to be true?

Thoughts...

2 answers to this question

Back when I was a puppy, I used Bio-Wash Natural Deck oil.

Never had a problem with it sticking, lasted well too.

But, it was like all wet wood friendlies, 2 coats wet on wet.

As I got, ahem, " more seasoned" I started to find doing it twice was double the work.

But, like I said, no prob. with the stuff.

It actually finished real nice.

There are products out there with a higher moisture threshold. You need to read the tech data sheets for the products you are considering.

We are not fans of the wash it and seal it same day products, but you can actually seal when you have some amount of dampness left in the wood provided you are using the right product.

For those who would ask WHY we are not fans of the wash and seal same day products, the answer is simple. Wood prep. If you need to do any sanding on that deck, well, you are not doing that on a wet surface.

Beth