Sign in to follow this  
Emminz

Deck on a waterway

Question

I was given a job to bid on. It's a beautiful deck area with a few gazebos for a condo association. The problem is that it's right on the D&R Canal here in NJ. Think of it like a dock. My main concern is the canal of course. If nothing can go down a storm drain because it may end up in a waterway, then I really cant do anything with this deck because basically everything washed off the deck will end up in the waterway. How can I do this job legally, responsibly, and in a way that would show that this is being don the right way and reduce or eliminate any environmental concerns that the local residents may have?

Thanks

Scott

8 answers to this question

I checked with our state DEQ (Department of Environmental Quality), or state EPA, and they told me that there was nothing they could recommend as even using city water would be considered a contaminant because it has fluoride and other additives. Using well water would still mean washing of the debris into the water.

Adrian may be of help. I've done one and opted to use plain water under pressure with a 40** fan but I generally will not provide estimates. It's a shame too because that would be some great looking projects

Theres a way to do it. guys here do it often and I am sure they do it environmentally friendly.

Edited by steven

Do you know how they do it? I've thought about pulling water from the canal, filtering it and running through an older machine, but the water was really the least of my concern. It's the stuff I'm washing off. It would be an awesome project to do. It's probably best to walk away but I know if I do, I'm 90% sure the that the guy who does it will do it the totally wrong way.

If you can remove all man made debris by whatever means, sweeping, vacume, then whats left must be considered ''natural'' staining from airborn dirt & dust. Or are the powers that be that anal about it?

Where doing for a second time this IPE deck next week that's on a canal. We actually got this customer thru Beth & TGS. This deck has never been stained and it goes grey every year. We just do it the old out dated way and clean it under pressure with a 40 degree tip. It has to be done at low tide because part of this decking has a boat slip to it and it goes under water.

If there's a pre-existing stain on it your best bet maybe to walk away from that job. It takes one nosey neighbor to call on you and it may not be worth the headache.

Good luck on your decision.

Belly tarps under the platform. OR air matresses with your tarps drapped over them to capture run off.

Boom Train of oil socks around the perimeter.(coral it) pull ashore and bag it.

Or there is the possibility of (soy Gel) applied on day one and lifted off with low pressure and scraping tools on day two.

The mesh fabric construction screens are great for trapping that gunk.

Just make sure your BMP's line up with your locals pre-req's if not, it may be better to seeks other options.

Belly tarps under the platform. OR air matresses with your tarps drapped over them to capture run off.

Boom Train of oil socks around the perimeter.(coral it) pull ashore and bag it.

Or there is the possibility of (soy Gel) applied on day one and lifted off with low pressure and scraping tools on day two.

The mesh fabric construction screens are great for trapping that gunk.

Just make sure your BMP's line up with your locals pre-req's if not, it may be better to seeks other options.

You da man ABC Mr. Dock guru! :)>

I need to call you someday so you can give me some pointers...