Sign in to follow this  
Beth n Rod

Next generation of homeowner applied products.

Question

8 answers to this question

Looks ok for a water base stain pretty easy to apply but that fence will be dry in a few months.I just don't see a water base stain being as good for the wood as an oil base stain.

From what I have read in the past here regarding lumber drying out, I wonder how this stuff effectively penetrates an aged surface without prep. My wife and I are looking for another house and I would like to do a deck. However, I think I'll stay away from this stuff and order my items from TGS.

Ryan,

If the house you choose doesn't have a deck yet, avoid trex, and consider Ipe or PT lumber. If it does have a deck, inspect it carefully. If it is painted, run. Start with a fresh slate, not someone's disaster.

Just my opinion...

Beth

Thanks, Beth. Most of the decks around here are PT. Also, most builders do nothing beyond assembling them...no sealers and they certainly look the worse for it a year later. Ideally I'd like to do a two tone deck so I imagine I'll be stripping everything initially. The pictures that you and Reed put up awhile back (and I can't find them now...supwidat??) really makes me want to try that. I hope no paint...I've washed a few houses with painted decks and they look horrible after it starts to peel. I'd probably just tear it down and start anew if that was the case. Thanks for the tip!

Can't you just see a homeowner out there with a hose and sprayer attachment with this stuff and they don't cover the flowers the wife just planted... I can see that.... EEESH! (not to mention they don't wash the fence)

Beth

So many new products out today...and most of them are real crap. In ohio this year everyone was asking about one time wood...supposed to last 7 years. I found out it was clear coat for cars with a tint in it. And its almost a hundred bucks a gallon. I always tell people they should also think about what is involved to re-do the deck in a few years. A lot of acrylics and now clear coat will be a mess when it needs redone. I like to stick to products that make a maintenance easy. But, i'm sure if this stuff hits the market here a lot of people will try it and like you said beth...make a mess of things

Andy