Sign in to follow this  
alvisishere

"Hovering" today in a 1948 Fully Restored Steadman Open CockPit Bi-Plane

Question

[h=2][/h]

One of my customers wanted the High end of his home washed today...

In return he took me up in his fully restored war plane a 1948 Steadman open cockpit bi-plane in mint condition.

Not only did he take me up but for most of the time he let me fly the plane from the front seat.

After we landed ...he asked if I wanted to take his small Piper plane for a ride......Sure enough when we got up there he let me have the controls on that as well.

Very fortunate to have customers like that....he was a jet fighter pilot for the Navy and a retired commercial pilot.

Today was a day that I will never forget!!

post-3337-1377724659_thumb.jpg

post-3337-137772465951_thumb.jpg

post-3337-137772466001_thumb.jpg

post-3337-137772466018_thumb.jpg

post-3337-137772466067_thumb.jpg

6 answers to this question

Cool Al,

It's actually a Stearman Bi.

Nice resto he has.

Sounds like a great customer, to let you fly with stick vs. yoke.

I know that words really don't do the experience justice.

Bi planes are a different world altogether.

The feeling never leaves and once you get the "fever" you will own or build your own someday.

Cool Al,

It's actually a Stearman Bi.

Nice resto he has.

Sounds like a great customer, to let you fly with stick vs. yoke.

I know that words really don't do the experience justice.

Bi planes are a different world altogether.

The feeling never leaves and once you get the "fever" you will own or build your own someday.

thanks for the correction ....maybe a mod could correct it for me??????

yeah it was something that will stay will you a lifetime.!! It was a first with the yoke....

Very cool,

My father-in-law was a WW2 pilot on B-17 bombers and for his 80th birthday we took him to a airshow and bought him a ride in a stearman. He had learned to fly on one over 60 years ago. The pilot took him up and let him fly it. We did not know it but for other than taking it up he flew the plane the entire time except for the landing and the pilot said that he was sure he could of landed the plane just fine.

thanks for the correction ....maybe a mod could correct it for me??????

You can edit your own post Al look at the bottom right hand corner on the original post "edit post"

[h=2][/h]

One of my customers wanted the High end of his home washed today...

In return he took me up in his fully restored war plane a 1948 Steadman open cockpit bi-plane in mint condition.

Not only did he take me up but for most of the time he let me fly the plane from the front seat.

After we landed ...he asked if I wanted to take his small Piper plane for a ride......Sure enough when we got up there he let me have the controls on that as well.

Very fortunate to have customers like that....he was a jet fighter pilot for the Navy and a retired commercial pilot.

Today was a day that I will never forget!!

Hey Al I seen these pic links and I've been dying to actually see these pics. Totally awesome bro!!

Yrs ago we had one of our customers buzzing us while we were working on his gargantuan deck and all I thought was how cool it would be to be in that plane as well.

Very cool experience you got from your customer. Stories like this remind me why I love this business so much. It's some of the great customers we all have.