Sign in to follow this  
Mike

Having a Roundtable

I dont know if a trial membership would help much, since it's only $195.00. What I think is holding most people back, myself included is they are not sure which direction the pwna is heading and where they stand. What I think would help the pwna is the thing that started this topic, roundtables and or chapter meetings. That way other PW's can go to a LOCAL meeting, not shell out alot of money, and check things out for themselves, to see if they really do want to get involved with the Org. and see where they are heading.

Limiting a non member to only come to 1 roundtable / chapter meeting would not be a good move as it takes some of us a little more then a 1 hour roundtable talk to become convinced that they are making the right choice. Sure, charge us a little more as a non member, but dont tell us we cant come because we already attended 1 meeting.

By the way... GO COLTS! Almost game time...... got my ice cold refreshments and chicken wings!

First off, I am really glad to see such a great thread. Round tables or chapter chat, this is all important stuff. I want to thank Everett for chiming in. His experience with round tables and the formation of PWNA chapters is excellent. We have also hosted quite a few round tables and will continue to do so, as we have a number of folks that have come to expect them and enjoy them.

This is a PWNA friendly BBS. We encourage open discussion about the industry and also constructive comments and ideas about PWNA. Just as we would not bash people here, we will not bash PWNA. We encourage the BOD to respond on TGS and help to answer any PWNA questions. Just wanted to be clear there.

Keep the voice alive, keep asking questions and working in your own ways to improve our industry and raise the standards of professionalism. Regardless of your affiliation with PWNA, it does help us all.

Beth

Don't get me wrong - I wasn't suggesting any lack of support on your part toward any PWNA discussion - If anyone has been a staunch supporter anywhere, it's you guys. My main reason for suggesting the move/copy, whatever, was that since is a PWNA subject, it would make sense that it be on the PWNA bbs - I absolutely meant no offense by suggesting that it be discussed on the PWNA bbs.

Just wanted to clarify..

Celeste

This is a PWNA friendly BBS. We encourage open discussion about the industry and also constructive comments and ideas about PWNA. Just as we would not bash people here, we will not bash PWNA. We encourage the BOD to respond on TGS and help to answer any PWNA questions. Just wanted to be clear there.

Keep the voice alive, keep asking questions and working in your own ways to improve our industry and raise the standards of professionalism. Regardless of your affiliation with PWNA, it does help us all.

Beth

It's good to see that at least here on this BBS we are allowed to voice an opinion and express it freely without critisizim.

Freedom of speech is one of many great things about our contry. We have limits here too, but they are about being respectful and professional. More points of view are better than fewer. This leads to creative ideas and suggestions.

:)

Beth

Mike I'm not sure which BBS your referring to but all the power wash bbs's I know of allow anyone to ask questions and give their opinions. As long as they are done constructivly and don't attack the board or it's members personally.

I know Beth would pull a post if she thought it was unacceptable also, these bbs are here for anyone to use as long as they are used for the proper purpose, instead of causing turmoil.

It's good to see that at least here on this BBS we are allowed to voice an opinion and express it freely without critisizim.

He didn't mention moderators at all in his comment.

I know I've been bashed a few times on various boards before also, because of some simple misinterpeting of my posts or people trying to read between the lines and finding something that wasn't even stated...

It happens on every board and even this one. No matter how hard we all work to avoid misunderstandings it still happens.

The best thing to do is to not take any post personally. Or to ask the poster what they meant before responding back.

Or to read a post for what it says and NOT read between the lines. I believe the less popular term for this little side conversation is censorship seems to be more indiscriminately practiced on other BBS recently.

Round Table meetings are a way to get your feet wet so-to-speak and without obligation. I find its quite a relaxed atmosphere and that we are all not so different. As people begin to talk and share during the event, all will learn about the industry and how it is affecting others in the meeting.

This is the time to begin shaping the industry on a local level and keeping each other informed helps us to be aware of the issues that can impact our business.

As Beth and I have held RT's in our area, I have found it hard to pull myself away from it and take the photos because it was so involving and interesting on so many levels.

People have shared their experiences and pit falls which have not been without some level of familiarity to others. The questions asked are those of eagerness and earnest to find a better way. It shows me that the willingness to grow is strong.

The important thing I come away with at the end is that we are on the same page on many issues and can address them in our daily business.

I hope for anyone who would host a meeting the same. They are fun!

Rod~

Good info Rod, the relaxed atmosphere would be nice... to be able to sit back.. enjoy yourself... Share some ideas... ask some questions... Check out a new product... form a friendship or 2 or 3 and learn more about the industry.

:beerchug:

Hey Rod,

The roundtables that you and Beth have run have been fun. The last one was by far the largest and it was great meeting Celeste and a bunch of the others. I chatted with Celeste more since we both smoke..lol

I look forward to attending future round tables and I plan on running one myself in the future.

I just don't think one person or company should have to do it each time when we could all gain more insight on our local power washers by having us all pitch in. Everyone should try to host one just for the experiance and to take the responsibility for holding them. Besides, with more people running them you could have more variety in the meeting places (hooters) and the attendees. Or, have them at different places (hooters) and even run some kind of theme if you like. We could even hold an outdoor event with a nice barbecue and demo our equipment by cleaning up a local park or something while we do it.

We could even hold one at hooters if the ladies didn't mind. <G> man, where did that idea come from??

Henry,

We plan on holding them for many years to come. It's not a burden for us at all, so please do not assume it is. We enjoy it. Very often it is vendors who host these, and sometimes multiple vendors attend them, as we have seen in the past as well. This makes sense.

Rather than splintering and dividing the local efforts and potentially detracting from the attendance at both, why not help us with ours? I know you called a couple people once, but if several of us locally reached out to say 50 people each, it would be great. The one we are working on now has several volunteers all rounding people up for the event to help make the turn out even larger.

As for Hooters.... No offense to those who hold them there but it seems like it's perhaps not the most professional place to hold one and some could be turned off by it. Again, no offense to those who do.

Thanks...

Beth :groovy3:

I dont know if a trial membership would help much, since it's only $195.00. What I think is holding most people back, myself included is they are not sure which direction the pwna is heading and where they stand.

Limiting a non member to only come to 1 roundtable / chapter meeting would not be a good move as it takes some of us a little more then a 1 hour roundtable talk to become convinced that they are making the right choice. Sure, charge us a little more as a non member, but dont tell us we cant come because we already attended 1 meeting.

I was pondering the value of membership in PWNA myself today. I'm working towards spooling up my own PW business. From the little knowledge I have so far, I don't see much to be gained [for me] in handing over $200 of the precious little cash I have towards this organization.

The juncture where I'm at finds me having to acquire professional knowledge, skill, equipment and what have you so that I can productively compete in this market. I don't see the value of joining the PWNA, for me there is little return. Maybe I'm wrong or maybe that will change in time as I practice the trade.

On the other hand it could be a question of priorties for the little money I have [due to unemployment].

I am looking forward to our local roundtable indeed however, and the valuable associations, education and direction it will provide.

On the subject of get togethers:

The National Convention.

I'm suffering from sticker shock at the cost of the "Wood Cert" $650.00 for class & test on top of the $500 odd cost for the convention plus lodging! Whew!

I guess it's just part of the cost of tools and equip, the cost of doing business as it were.

The certs, are they really this expensive? Whew! A college education is by contrast cheaper seeminly hour for hour.

paul

newbie in training

Hi Paul,

I actually used to live in Winchester...very brief time.....I remember going to a parade with Mary Tyler Moore in it but anyway....... we'd always be glad to help with any hands on that you'd like to try out down here in NC as well. Feel free to give us a call anytime.

Celeste

Hey Paul, welcome to the Board. I'm also a believer that hands on training and experience beats classroom training everyday. Not that classroom training is not a good thing to have, everyone should learn as much as they can to be a proffesional at what they do, but I would take up these offers from others.

Beth & Rod, glad to see you are having success with your RT's. Have you ever thought about a once a year "The Grime Scene Annual Get together" were you could plan a BIG roundtable for everyone on the board here to get together and converse byy anyway other then typing. It could be a cookout type thing? That would take alot of planning.

To get back on the original question, for those new comers to roundtables, that are interested in having one in thier hometown, where would you suggest they start?

We have thought about it, and ran out of time for it last year. Might do it this year if enough people are interested, it could be really fun! Could have a couple of days out in the field, followed by a party at the end of it even.

Anyone interested?

Beth

Paul,

Drive up from VA this spring and work with us for a couple of days. Get some hands on and some tips, and it will help you launch your biz.

Let us know if you are interested.

Beth

I greatly appreciate the invitation and intend to take you up on it. I'm also looking forward to meeting everyone at our area "roundtable".

thanks,

paul

Hi Paul,

I actually used to live in Winchester...very brief time.....I remember going to a parade with Mary Tyler Moore in it but anyway....... we'd always be glad to help with any hands on that you'd like to try out down here in NC as well. Feel free to give us a call anytime.

Celeste

What neck of the area did you live? I'm in the county on the east side of the city.

You're referring to the "Apple Blossom" parade every spring. Yeah, they feature a celebrity every year amongst other things.

Thanks for your very kind and gracious offer.

paul

We have thought about it, and ran out of time for it last year. Might do it this year if enough people are interested, it could be really fun! Could have a couple of days out in the field, followed by a party at the end of it even.

Anyone interested?

Beth

Beth,

I'm interested and willing to help get it organized in any way I ably can.

paul

Hey Paul, welcome to the Board. I'm also a believer that hands on training and experience beats classroom training everyday. Not that classroom training is not a good thing to have, everyone should learn as much as they can to be a proffesional at what they do, but I would take up these offers from others.

Beth & Rod, glad to see you are having success with your RT's. Have you ever thought about a once a year "The Grime Scene Annual Get together" were you could plan a BIG roundtable for everyone on the board here to get together and converse byy anyway other then typing. It could be a cookout type thing? That would take alot of planning.

To get back on the original question, for those new comers to roundtables, that are interested in having one in thier hometown, where would you suggest they start?

Mike, Great idea... DC is less than an 8 hour drive from NY.

Careful Beth......I just might let the best part of coming to your neck of the woods slip!

Count us in....don't even care the date, just put us down as a YES!!!!

Celeste

Paul, I lived near some train tracks, an appliance store and some baseball fields in huge old historical house (former school?) Beyond that.....I told you it was very brief :)

Celeste