Sign in to follow this  
a68cudas

Basement/ storm shelter Flood damage dry/ cleanup questions?

Question

Hello this is regarding my mothers house. She doesnt have an actual basement. This room is 14x14 underground and is next to back porch, The sump went and water filled in. I got all water out and new sump working in crock.  There is alot of orange hard water sediment on cement floor and very damp. The room has no heat. Someone has to get room dry for insurance company before cleanup can happen. Does anyone on here run into flood damage cleanup like this? How did you go about drying the room so you could start pressure wash clean up reseal and paint? Any idea how muchit would cost for drying a non heated once flooded 14x14 room? If i do the work i was thinking of running torpedo heater  fan and dehumidifyer after floor is sqeegied but i have no clue what to charge the ins company for the work in drying room? Any suggestions? Location is rural N E Ohio. Anyone ever did this type work done before have an idea what a company would charge to come out and dry up room so i can get the ok from ins company to clean and seal? I think i will at least sqeege the floor and get wet sediment off so whom ever dries this either being meequipment to dry can be brought in without causing more of a mess and or elec hazard. Any guidance and or help in this matter is greatly appreciated by my mother and I. Thank You

1 answer to this question

Since you do not have the equipment, just let the insurance company handle everything.  Then watch what they do and how they do it.  Even if this does not open a new income stream, you will be able to talk about restoration in general terms with potential customers.  Don't forget to give your card to whoever the insurance company hires.

We  repaired broken sprinkler  pipes the last 2 weeks. I rented a torpedo heater to warm the area on one job, so the pipe and glue would set up properly.  That charge will be added to the price of the job.  I have some specialty tools that are not used on a regular basis, like a sump pump and heating blankets.  I charge 15% of the purchase price when those tools are used. Other tools, like my threaders, groovers, vacuums and cut off saw are billed at a set rate.  Consumables, glue, pipe dope, drill bits, hole saws and cut-off wheels are billed at replacement cost when they are used up on a job.  These are all legitiamate charges and the insurance company will pay them. Next time you get a bill from the automotive shop, look at the bottom of the bill, there will be a % charge to take care of penetrating oil, sealers, and rags.