Sign in to follow this  
John T

Today I start back at the gym-- How about you?

Question

Today will be my first real day back at the gym in over 7yrs. I'm going to try and slow down my aging process or die trying lol. Hardest part to me is always just getting there. I took a 7 yr break so now my body is saying "Hey you lazy SOB get your azz to the gym"..lol

Who's been working out and who's going to start like me?

5 answers to this question

I feel ya, bud. I used to be pretty cut. I was level 3 combatives certified and a level 1 trainer in the Army. I used to run in the (A) group and could easily do 10 miles before I started to get tired..and this was in Colorado where Oxygen doesn't exist!

Then I was injured.

I was ran over stateside. Right after getting back from Iraq. Some punk kid trying to leave the scene of a crime decided I was in his way. It chipped my Femur, broke my ankle, tore up my knee, displaced two disks in my back, gave me concusion, bruised ribs...etc etc.

It took 6 months of physical therapy to be able to walk on my own. The Army put me on 18 different medications including 2 types of Morphine (MS IR and MS Contin) and percosets...yes...at the same time. It took a long time to kick those addictions on my own.

Spent all that time basically living on my couch. My muscle mass quickly started to melt away and then I started gaining fat. Shortly after I got out of the Army, the VA put me on a blood pressure medicine..to help with nightmares..I don't have a blood pressure problem. Well, one night shortly after I started the meds, I woke up and went to go downstairs. My BP was messed up. I got dizzy and fell down the stairs rebreaking my ankle.

Well, I'm almost healed up. Just got through my last surgery and am on my way back to being healthy. I have been working on cardio and as soon as I get the all clear from the doc and PT to run...run I shall. I miss it so bad.

My goal is to cut 20 LBS and then build back 10-15 in muscle. I have already signed up for the Tough Mudder challenge in Andover, NY in July. You Should sign up. It's going to be great!

Good luck to you. I hope you can stick with it. Don't over do it. Start slow and build on that.

I feel ya, bud. I used to be pretty cut. I was level 3 combatives certified and a level 1 trainer in the Army. I used to run in the (A) group and could easily do 10 miles before I started to get tired..and this was in Colorado where Oxygen doesn't exist!

Then I was injured.

I was ran over stateside. Right after getting back from Iraq. Some punk kid trying to leave the scene of a crime decided I was in his way. It chipped my Femur, broke my ankle, tore up my knee, displaced two disks in my back, gave me concusion, bruised ribs...etc etc.

It took 6 months of physical therapy to be able to walk on my own. The Army put me on 18 different medications including 2 types of Morphine (MS IR and MS Contin) and percosets...yes...at the same time. It took a long time to kick those addictions on my own.

Spent all that time basically living on my couch. My muscle mass quickly started to melt away and then I started gaining fat. Shortly after I got out of the Army, the VA put me on a blood pressure medicine..to help with nightmares..I don't have a blood pressure problem. Well, one night shortly after I started the meds, I woke up and went to go downstairs. My BP was messed up. I got dizzy and fell down the stairs rebreaking my ankle.

Well, I'm almost healed up. Just got through my last surgery and am on my way back to being healthy. I have been working on cardio and as soon as I get the all clear from the doc and PT to run...run I shall. I miss it so bad.

My goal is to cut 20 LBS and then build back 10-15 in muscle. I have already signed up for the Tough Mudder challenge in Andover, NY in July. You Should sign up. It's going to be great!

Good luck to you. I hope you can stick with it. Don't over do it. Start slow and build on that.

That's an amazing and also inspiring story Ryan. Thanks for that. Now I'm even more motivated.