Sign in to follow this  

There are several brands and types available 3M, North and AOSafety are 3 that come to mind. My recommendation would be a half-face mask and the appropriate cartridges for the materials you are applying. Most vendors are helpful in selecting filter cartridges. You can order thru the internet or your local paint store (like Sherwin Williams) can take care of your needs. www.DirectSafety.com or www.SafetyPlus.com are a couple among the host of vendors that can supply these masks.

OTP,

I use 3M respirators. I like the fit, and feel, as well as the broad selection of cartridges available.

If you go to HD or Lowes, or a paint store, you will likely find respirators that are outfitted for paint mist, which is not appropriate for what we do. Also, those stores often do not stock the correct cartridges.

I buy all my safety supplies from Direct Safety, as Paul mentioned above.

OK...I just went out in the garage and looked at my supplies, and here is what I use....

3M 7503 Half Face Silicon Mask

3M 6006 Multi Gas/Vapor Cartridges

3M N95 Prefilter Pads

3M N95 Retainers

I also use individually packaged alcohol based wipes to clean the facepiece each time I use it. Direct Safety sells a box of 100 that is very conveniant.

Also, every couple weeks, I remove the cartridges, and wash the mask in a pail of warm soapy water. I use an antibiotic hand soap, and it makes a nice sudsy water to clean your mask in.

Does this help?

OTP,

I use 3-M half face. Clean like Tony. Store the respirator in a 1 gallon zip lock bag.

Each mask is identified with the users name.

Change inorganic cartridges when you can start smelling the chem. in the mask.