Sign in to follow this  
SeattleKent

Board replacement on tired cedar deck

Question

I'm restoring a tired cedar deck. From this website I have learn I have to strip, brighten and then stain.

A few of the boards in the deck split, cracked or broken and need to be replaced with new cedar. When should I do this?

Is board replacement the first step then I strip, brighten, and stain the new boards with the old wood?

Is board replacement the last step, after I have the old wood all ready to go? I remember something about not staining new wood until it has aged a bit.

Thanks for any help!

1 answer to this question

Do the replacement after you have done your cleaning/stripping.

Reason is, you want to be able to apply and end grain sealer to the ends of not only the boards you are replacing but the ones that will remain.

Rot starts at these points on cedar decks and is the point where all the problems begin including cracking due to moitsure loss in the form of extractives cedar needs

to retain in order to last longer.

Unfortunately, as decking cedar doesn't have as good of a life expectancy as Pt. pine or or redwood.

Before installing them, scuff the new boards up with 80 grit buffers or sanders to help the new stain take better.

They will NOT match the old and that is one thing that should be educated the customer first off. Otherwise, they try the 'You didn't tell me...." excuse as if it is a

leverage mechanism to get you to do something that was never agreed upon before hand.

Rod