Sign in to follow this  
RPetry

Stripping marine varnish

Question

This one is going to be fun.  Well built, older red mahogany deck with multiple existing stains (see pic).  Tested under the handrail on a small section with EaCo Chem's stripper cream, a highly caustic paste.  As can be seen in the pic, worked well until it hit the base coating which is marine varnish.

I'm pretty sure that Back to Nature's Multi Strip will remove the varnish, but the product is costly and worse, it is extremely labor intensive to apply.

Anyone have a better solution?  Thanks.

8 answers to this question

Dorado strip applied with an airless sprayer in the evening. Come back in the morning and scrape off the excess and then wash(may have to scrub the wood with some mild stripper to remove everything when you rinse) Apply it thick. It's expensive too. They'll send you a gallon for free to test it.

Edited by YVPW

Rick, how many square feet do you have to do? Wish I could see the pic

Hi Jason,

I wish I could post it. I let Beth know of the problem sometime ago, I must be on some kind of system limit.

Anyway, I have heard of but never used Dorado.  I'm assuming your suggestion would be Dorado Strip 3031.  Yes, a bit pricey at $272 a fiver as Back to Nature Multi Strip can be picked up at my local Sherwin Williams store for $221 a fiver.  And I know that Multi Strip will work.

What has me intrigued is that you say Dorado Strip can be applied through an airless.  Multi Strip can, but with a large, minimum 1.9 gpm commercial airless.  Must remove all filters, larger diameter hose, etc.  Any idea of the minimum gpm for Dorado Strip?  I've got an old Binks 1.0 gpm collecting dust for the past 10 yrs. 

The deck is fairly small, about 540 ft. sq. of floor and 90 ft. of balustrade.  I'll post the OP and pic over at the PWRA site in the wood forum.  http://pressurewashingresource.com/

Hey Rick that Dorado strip will strip darn near anything. It stays wet for a long time. The 3031 is probably what you need. Just stir it with a drill with paddle attachment. I know a Titan 440i will spray it easily and it's only about.5 gpm. Dorado is designed for airless spraying. Sooo much faster. Best to let it sit all night. You don't need oversized hose or anything of the sort. You're probably looking at 50-75 sqft a gallon. You'll love not having to brush on specialty strippers.

Edited by YVPW

Jason,

Wow, eureaka, a stripper that removes multiple waterbased coatings that does not require a $9K commercial airless to spray!  Talk about labor savings, this is huge.  Thanks so much, I'll call them a bit later this morning.

Jason,

They did not offer a gal. and I did not ask.  The job is not pressing, probably sometime in August.  After 10 yrs. as a boat anchor in the garage, I'll have to find the time to tear down the Binks Super Bee, clean out the filters etc., and see if the old gal still works well.  Its a brute, almost weights as much as my portable Hydrotek PW.

I appreciate the heads up on Dorato Strip.