steven

Cedar shake strip and stain pctures

Question

Just a couple of pics of a project I am working on, this was some really old shakes that needed two fat coats of amber. you can see on the front where i left off on the second coat.

post-5886-0-36768000-1441467335_thumb.jp

post-5886-0-41364800-1441467372_thumb.jp

post-5886-0-09666900-1441467401_thumb.jp

post-5886-0-13475200-1441467533_thumb.jp

60 answers to this question

Ok I have a question, with all the prep of windows, gutters, and everything else that comes along with spraying stain, could you earn more money by brushing the wood?

do you get pad the same whether you brush or spray?

I use a Delavan pump sort of the same as Rod for applying chemicals and always use an airless(I've had both Titan and Graco, currently use a Graco). You have much more control with an airless and an unlimited supply of different types of coatings you can use. All I do is restore interior and exterior wood. I use a Titan Capspray 115 HVLP for fine finishing. If you want a good overall sprayer get a Titan air-assisted airless.

I price more if for some reason I can't spray something. Spraying and back brushing provides the best finish for exterior wood. A lot depends on the stain you use as far as if you can just brush the stain. I almost always spray, it's faster and better, even when you have to mask off. I always remove downspouts and gutters too if need be. If not the gutters then use a spray shield or wipe the gutter off when spraying. I can't use AC down here in NC because of the mildew issues I've had with it.

Edited by YVPW

As for the Harbor Freight buffers. I can't speak about the other tools they sell, but I can say that the buffers are good. I've buffed thousands upon thousands of sq.ft of wood with them. They're lighter than most and work great. For the best sanding tools you can't go wrong with Festool or Bosch

Here's one I got asked to price for a solid stain. I gave him a round about number for a complete strip and re-stain and his jaw dropped. He is looking for a cheaper alternative.  I figure I would just wash it with a house wash and hypo mix to get rid of all the dirt, grime and mold. then cover it with a couple coats of solid oil stain.

any input on spraying this?

post-5886-0-95694900-1442175300_thumb.jp

Edited by steven

Yeah that process, even though as a wood restoration contractor I hate anything remotely close to paint on wood. Sometimes it's what has to be done. I would xjet it with a strong house wash and apply 2 coats of Sherwin Williams Woodscapes and be done. With that stain you can brush. I might would brush that job

Lol yeah I agree Rick! We who love wood find it a sin to cover it up. I would definitely charge extra for that house. With all the windows and dormers it wouldn't be an easy one. Steven is the stain/paint around the windows in good shape? Are they wanting that done too?

Yeah oil based stain sometimes doesn't wipe off latex paint very good, especially if it's not wiped up quickly. I would use latex Woodscapes solid on the siding and trim too if they wanted it done. It will take 2 coats

I just looked at a house Saturday that's gonna have to be priced just like this one. I definitely don't get the excitement with these jobs that I do when I can fully restore one and make the wood beautiful

No I aint dong the trim, that's in great shape. I tried to get a strip in there but he almost had a heart attack when I gave him the round about number to strip and re-stain.  Also this homeowner is looking for a grey, kinda like whats on there now.

Yeah you're right. It will look much better than it does now. If he's wanting that color then that's what you'll have to do. I know a lot of homeowners like the solid stain/paint look on cedar siding. Makes it look like the Fiber Cement cedar print siding

Yeah you're right. It will look much better than it does now. If he's wanting that color then that's what you'll have to do. I know a lot of homeowners like the solid stain/paint look on cedar siding. Makes it look like the Fiber Cement cedar print siding

Not so much that he wants a solid. It's just what's in his budget. He knows that he waited to long and that there are only two options to make that house look good. And one is half the cost of the other

I love wood, I love the transformation that happens, I love the customers reaction, their smiles and their appreciation. But do you know what I hate about doing wood?  RAIN, all I have here is rain, More than enough rain to last five jobs. If there is one thing that will make me stop doing this it is the aggravation that comes along with the weather.

Maine is a challenging climate.  Colder temps, shorter season for wood, and just a lot of precipitation.  Much more difficult than those of us in the southern northeastern U.S.

Still, a beautiful state.  And for compensation, you don't put up with the traffic jams, high taxes, and rat race pace of life.  Not a bad trade.

Rick,

I agree it is worth the trade off of the big city. here are my neighbors, the best thing about them is that they keep their lawn moooed. HAHAHAHAHAHAH

post-5886-0-29660000-1442266666_thumb.jp

Steven,

Yes.  3 yrs. ago we finally got fed up with the congestion and overall nonsense living in a very crowded area.  At that point we had 4 vehicles and a one car garage!  Moved up to the "country", as far as this region of NJ has to offer.  Lots of deer, assorted critters, and some coyotes.  Corn field farm in the front of the property, and a corn/soybean and pumpkin farm in the back.  About as "country" as we can get without jeopardizing my established market and having to drive more than 6 miles to decent retail.

Overall,  the best thing we have done in 25 yrs. of marriage.  Much more pleasant, less hectic, quiet, one can actually see a lot of stars at night.  Downsides are a lot of property to mow, much more home maintenance, and large trees to prune, cut down, and manage.

Moved in ~ 2 weeks before hurricane Sandy hit NJ.  Woke up to this downed 78' white spruce.  Bought my first chainsaw!  Hard to believe how much branches and wood are in a tree of that size.

Worth the effort.  Would never go back.

post-110-0-01196400-1442268727_thumb.jpg