Sign in to follow this  
One Tough Pressure

Wiring problem truck/trailer

I am having a problem with my trailer/truck lights.

Truck is a 2001 F250 and is fine when not hooked up to the trailer.

Trailer is a 2002 All American.

When the trailer wiring is hooked to the truck, and the truck lights are on, the electric brakes stay on. I had to dial the actuator back to 0 make it home.

The turn signals and 4 ways will not flash when the brakes are stuck on either.

This is a new incident as everything worked fine before. Where would I start to look in my wire tracking expedition?

This may sound simple but have you checked the lights themselves?

Sometimes like in xmas lighting, one bulb can affect the rest.

If that is not the problem, then check the wiring around the connectors and see if you have hidden breaks in the wiring. (need a second person for this to operate switches and brakes)

Most connectors are molded to fit in only one way and this makes misconnections impossible (rules this out). Blown fuses could also be a factor if the circuit has been closed.

Did anything get spilled on the actuator in the cab?

Rod~

Hey Rod,

Yes all the bulbs are good as everything worked, it was that the brakes were getting stuck.

I was looking into it as I awaited replies and found that the Brown Running Light lead and the Blue Electric Brake lead had rubbed on each other and wore thru the insulation.

I think it would be safe to say that when the lights were on, they gave power to the brake wire and caused my problem. So fixed it is, because the only thing worse than no brakes, is brakes that are stuck on.

I had a problem with my lights and switched to led and have not had a problem since.

Can you recommend a good place to buy the LED assemblies?

They sure are a lot brighter, and more visable.

Rod,

It's important to check your wiring from time to time....especially in and around the trailer tounge area, as that is the place where they all come together and have the most wear and tare due to movement.

I've had issue once or twice myself and when asking for help from the 'professionals' they tried to sell me all kinds of news things in order to fix it.

Being a skeptic, I decided to investigate for myself and found that my problems were as simple as a bad ground.

In otherwords....these things will happen again in the future.....always investigate for yourself to be sure.

Can you recommend a good place to buy the LED assemblies?

They sure are a lot brighter, and more visable.

You can buy LED light assemblies at your local strobe outfitting store. These places are usually the ones who outfit fleets like police, fire depts., city vehicles, etc.

Next time you see a cop, ask them where their vehicle was outfitted for their equipment.

Storbe outfitters exist all over the place and they are the ones who do fleets like police, fire depts., city vehicles etc.

They will cary all kinds of light assemblies that will fit your trailer.

Also try a heavy duty truck parts store.....I've found that they also will have a wide variety of light bars and such.

I have been meaning to get some LED lights as well. They would not have helped my wiring problem, but they sure look cool.

I am sure the RV places will have them, as all the RV's around here are sold with them. I have the 6" oval lights.

I bought mine at autozone in the trailer light section. They are waterproof for using on a boat trailer. I have also seen them in truck stops and truck part stores (big rigs). I like how they are really bright. I don't have to worry about getting rearended because of dim lights. You can get side lights brake lights and just about any kind you can think of at the trucker stores. In Florence SC there is a company called K & M chrome shop that carries chrome for tractor trailers and they carry all different sizes and colors. They look really nice on enclosed trailers with the side lights led.

I also have the 6" ovals.