Sign in to follow this  
Joel Hawley

Reclaiming Water

Question

Beth, or anybody else who cares to chime in,

How stringent are they in the MD area about re-claiming water? Does it very from county to county, or town to town?

Is it something I need to be figuring into my business plan as far as acquiring some sort of reclaiming apparatus before I consider any commercial flat work?

22 answers to this question

Go below and enjoy searching and reading. Just remember all states have to follow the USA/EPA laws and do their part to help.

What type of pressure washing do you plan to do? gas stations, car dealers and other places with grease and oil? if so there is no and if or butts, you reclaim.

http://www.mde.state.md.us/Water/index.asp

http://www.epa.gov/

http://www.mde.state.md.us/

Jon

Jon, thanks for the links, looks like I have something else to research for 3 or 4 hours.

What is the cost associated with a reclaim unit. I am sure there are some $8000 units out there, but what about for the guy just getting started back up again after 9 years who is on a shoe string budget?

Can you get buy rigging something up with a shur flo pump, drainage hose, and a tank to capture it in?

This may sound stupid but it just dawned on me. What do you do with it once you have re-claimed it?

Joel, two very different words here, reclaim and recapture.

Careful how you use them, just like waste water and recyled water.

I reuse the water as first cleaning, it goes though the reclaim filters and back to my tank, one of them anyway, it looks dirty and is to a point, all the petroleum stuff is out but not all the regular dirt.

I use clean "fresh" water for final rinse.

Here in CA. the rules for waste water suck, each job must be dumped before going to another, say you have 2 gas stations across from each other, you do one, take that captured water to a certified dump station and dump, then back to the other job. They claim every job, even if exact same businesses must not be mixed claiming different continements might be in the water.

Now for recaptured water a permit to haul on public street, a permit to dump a permits mean $$.

If you reclaim, clean and reuse no permits needed.

Now you can make your own system, I am not the one to help much here but there are guys who have done it. I believe the simplest ones use a 55 gallon drum, some old bed sheets, sump pump and all other stuff to pump in and pump or drain out.

Cost to buy a unit range from a few thousand up to over $85,000, not kidding I have seen some being built on triple axle trailers, MONSTER rigs too.

Remeber each city has different ways of interpreting the rules.

Beth after 9/11 in NJ it became againt the law to touch a fire hydrent without a cop their the whole time.

meter or no meter.

They are worried about someone backflushing chems into the water supply.

I have not checked this year, i hope they lifted that restriction.

I do!

I have a water meter and backflow device installed on my rig, required by city, mine is more semi-permanate rather then like a contractor who take it out for jobs then return when done. I go in every 3 month for a reading and get billed either $1.00 a day or if I use more units of water then that the amount of water. So far have not gone over the $1.00 a day.

Don't need a cop but any city employee can stop and ask to see my permit, heaven forbid I don't have it with me, I will see a cop then for stealing water and even see some BARS, and yes I have been asked a few times, most know me well now so drive by and wave.

Jon

Joel, I‘d love to talk with you about the EPA; if you want to call I’m all yours.

Beth, water meters. You better rent them… the fine in phoenix is 10,000 and they don’t play around. If you’re caught not using a meter you’re dead. I keep one around and use it and often get guys asking me to pay because they are too lazy to go down to water works and obtain one. I can legally let them use it but the rules say someone I designated must be present when using. They never check this as long as your permit is valid.

Extreme that is not possible, each city has it's own rules and meter department to read how much water you use.

If I take from another city and/or am asked to see my permit for THEIR city I would be in trouble since I don't have one.

Years ago things called business licenses were issued by county and were good thoughout that county, now each city requires you to have one.

Same with water meters.

You pay to use, you pay to rent.

You can buy a meter and mount it on your rig, that is easy but for what purpose, to keep track of how much water you use or to use a hydrant? If to use a hydrant your asking for trouble.

Jon

I am not allowed to use a Hydrant Period. At least that is what My water District said. If I was a Landscaper I could get a permit to use the Hydrant but Powerwashers are not allowed. Even though I have the wrench and hose to use for the hydrant I really haven't had the need yet to use a hydrant in 7+ yrs in powerewashing.

When the day comes were I need to use Hydrants I will have to look into this Hydrant permit again and if need be I'll start a shell add on Landscaping Company just to get the permit.

There is always a legal way.

So, does that meter stay on the trailer or do you remove it after you are through with it. I see the bypass line which makes me think you remove it when you don't need it. Or did you just decide to keep it, lol.

Yes all the time, I have accounts that don't have water or it is so slow I just haul my own there.

I put a deposit down that I get back if I ever turn it in.

Now I got it. Where could I get one of those back flow preventers?

Picking up the new trailer next week. Now the fun begins setting it up and trying not to spend all my advertising money doing it.

Companies that sell industrial garden suppliers, farm equipment businesses and meter companies.

They come in different sizes, mine is 3/4".

I'll be picking one up soon. I will be meeting that guy Bob with the bad boy later today. I am going to take it for a whirl and report back here. Well, not right here, I meant on the web.

The backflow cost about $145 before my discount so you have some idea what it sells for retail, would have to look up cost but I think I paid about $120.

One thing you need to know, the city says which brands meet their approval so don't run out and buy one if you plan to meter up for a city, get the information from them first.

Another thing, they can and do require spot testing to be sure everything works. They will call and ask me to bring it in or where will I be at such and such a time and show up.

Do you use Yahoo or AIM? if so add me to your list.

Yahoo: Thatsjon

AIM: Man of Oasis

I have contacted some municipalities around me and all they said was I had to have one, didn't mention any specs, just that I had to have one, period. One city also said not to bother, just go hook up and use what I needed, he also said he would deny saying that if asked. Oh well, more stuff to buy.

Trust me ever since 9-11 they require them, to easy for backflushing of dirty water into system.

For the few bucks it cost is it worth taking a chance?

Besides you are about to begin a venture you will never end if your like me. Always making some change to rig, inproving, modifing or just trying to make more room knowing I can't:rolleyes: