Sign in to follow this  
Snow Lover

Bad News :(

Question

Went to the doctor this morning told him about the p/w business idea my wife and I had and he said "I don't so"with the look the doctor gives you when he means business.He told me I have 2 discs in my back that are going bad.

So that shot this idea,thank you for all your information and sorry to take your time up. PS

Asked him if I could mow lawns then and got the same response,higher tone of voice though.

I should have known better than to ask.LOL

Thanks Again

Tim

8 answers to this question

Bad to hear about your back. Nothing wrong with your brain, though....work on getting a small group of workers together (even one) and directing them on how to do it if you really want to proceed in the industry.

Wife and I talked about it last night,looked at Ryan's idea but she's against anything to do with p/w,said she doesn't want to talk about it any more,then I GOT THAT WIFE LOOK.LOL

I am a firm beliver that both of you have to be 100% for it other wise it's not going to work.

Don't want fight over this it's not worth it.

Again thanks for you help,good luck everyone.

said she doesn't want to talk about it any more,then I GOT THAT WIFE LOOK.LOL

I know that look....everytime I came home with a new piece of equipment I got that look like "are you *ever* going to actually profit from a job or just keep buying equipment. I told her that every piece I bought would save me time on the next job, but somehow that didn't seem to help much. Hey, there are all type of businesses you can work on or run without having to step into the PW realm....my cleaning business has been very profitable for the past few years and, regardless of the numerous layoffs I saw at some of the places, I always managed to be safe! Cleaning is a service that nobody wants to handle in their own office situation and will be one that will survive almost any obstacle. I finally realized ten years too late that the one job that is guaranteed to be profitable is the one that is absolutely necessary but nobody wants to do. Good luck in your next endeavors.

Consider Janitorial or Post Construction cleaning. It is low impact on the back and can still provide a steady income, plus you can higher people to do the work. You go get the accounts.

just a thought...

Rod~

Oops...I guess everyone here does some form of cleaning. By "cleaning" I meant janitorial. Sorry. If you have any questions on it toss them up here....I'll help out where I can. I've been doing it for over 5 years now and ran it through school...learned quite a few things in it (and how to work with customers to enhance perceived value).

Ryan

I finally realized ten years too late that the one job that is guaranteed to be profitable is the one that is absolutely necessary but nobody wants to do.

Ryan, there's a lot of truth to that, and even more so for things that others simply can't do themselves. I believe that's one reason why roof cleaning is one of the most profitable services that I offer. Most, not only don't want to do it, they physicaly can't do it.

Tim,

I'm sorry to hear about that. I suffer from worn discs in my lower back and frequently experience severe pain especially after working arduously. But I learned how to deal with it so that I could do this job I've chosen to do.

Perhaps you've already read up and understand this better than I. There are many good books on the subject. I found a very good one several year ago when I was sidelined with particularly acute pain. It was: 7-Steps To a Pain-Free Life by Robin McKenzie. (He's a PT and was instrumental in vehicle mfgs. building vehicles with seats with better lumbar support.) It gave me a great deal of understanding as to how the spine is built and what's the deal w/those discs and how to care for them

The wear and tear of working hard all my life has taken it's toll on my back. If I can't PW clean, I don't see where I could handle much of any other task in life be it lifting a broom or even supervising people, hell its hard on my back even sitting in front of this pc.

I suffer from chronic lower back pain but I deal with it with proper stretch techniques, anti-inflamatories (eg. Advil) and a daily dose of cod liver oil. Having a nurse for a wife who's a good massuse is a godsend.

Proper preventative maintenance is key to our equipment and our bodies. It's an occupational and health thing we all need to be congizant of; the right way and wrong way of doing things that affect our back and our health. In this work all are very susceptable to back injury and pain.

Good luck, you'll work it out.

paul