Sign in to follow this  
Degraffreed

Window Screens

Question

To those vets with lots of experience.

When doing residential house washing, do you remove all the screens before you clean the homes or do you have the homeowners remove them before the start of the job.

Also why do you suggest removing the screens anyhow? I seems that the water while going thru the screens will still drain from the sill.

Could someone give me the pro and cons of this topic.

DeGraffreed

10 answers to this question

I have given the home owner the option of removing the screens. I do not do it because I do not want to be liable for anything in the house. For me, I would tack on a pretty price to do the screen removal and reinstallation. I also price the cleaning of removed screens seperately, if they want them done. Removing the screens will allow the sill dirt to be washed away more easily and will allow you to clean and rinse the windows better. I have also seen houses with large removable storm picture windows on the exterior of the house, water and soap will get behind it so the option of removal is presented to the owner.

In my opinion yes, because it will make it more difficult to rinse the windows and make sure they come out streak free; I usually rinse the windows first and earlier than the rest of the siding. If you are rinsing through a screen pressure will be lost on the surface you are trying to clean and water seems to get caught up in the mesh. I just give them the option and warn them, some only care about general apperance others are more picky....and they can pay more in my opinion.

I get (got) them to unlatch the screens before I showed up and removed them myself...the logic being if they could/wanted to take the screens down themselves, they wouldn't be hiring me to monkey around on the ladder to clean them in the first place. Also, the screens have a HUGE pressure drop across them and eliminate any cleaning ability. Plus, take a look at the crap that accumulates behind the screens...it's definitely noticeable from the inside of the house and attentive homeowners will notice it AND notice that it is still there after you leave. If you remove it, that is a HUGE plus in their mind and is a definite help for recommendations to friends. Plus, the grime on windows only really gets cleaned by scrubbing, and you can't do that with the screens in place.

I thought most screens have to removed from the inside. I would have to really flex the screens to remove them from the outside. Most windows around here have the half screens where you can slide them up and down from the outside. Maybe I don,t understand ? I don't do windows as of yet. I just hit them with my house wash solution and rinse rinse rinse.

Gymrat,

My thoughts exactly. I have done about 30 homes last season and not one person complained about any dirt left behind. I only do quality work and if this is something I need to do then I will start today on removing the screens. It not that much of a headache anyhow to do this.

Degraffreed

I thought most screens have to removed from the inside.

If they unlatch them, you can pop them out with a knife, screwdriver, etc. I use a nylon kitchen utensil so I don't scratch the paint, but anything flat works fine. They will have to latch them back from the inside when you put them back up.

How can you clean off the grime from the windows without removing them? I liken it to a car windshield...I can throw soap on my windshield and can sit through a heavy rainstorm and still have that grimy film on the glass. Nothing like cleaning with a sponge to make it sparkle!

I remove all screens and clean them on the ground and apply a very diluted brightener. This is done prior to any work commence. It gives me a good chance to check seals around windows and identify potential problem areas.

Pressure Pro,

Just a question on your time and price per house. Removal, cleaning, and reintallation of screens plus house wash and ext. gutters seems like a lot of work. Is it reflected in you price?

Is it reflected in you price?

Definitely. It used to be the standard way I did each and every wash. This year in order to stay competitive (because not everyone will pay $600+ for a housewash) I am offering different levels of service cleaning. Bronze might be a 2.5 hour job and Gold might be an all day job and they are priced accordingly.