Sign in to follow this  
John T

Flow unloader questions

Is there any difference from Flow sensative unloader vs. a flow actuated unloader??

I'm assuming(There's that word) there the same and for my Powerwashers to work hooked up together they have to be the same so assuming might not work here.

Thanks

Yes, there is a difference...And while John, you may know much of this, I am posting in more detail here for the sake of the archives and anyone else who may have the same question.

Flow actuated unloaders allow the hose pressure to drop to near zero when the thrigger is released. This gives you that limp hose that is so easy to work with.

It functions by sensing the flow of water through the line.

Pressure actuated unloaders keep the hose pressure around max of the pumps current calibration. This is observed by the stiffness of the hose and high pressure discharge spike upon pulling the trigger.

Pressure actuated unloaders are the industry standard on most units. Professionals who work in precarious places like upon ladders...etc. prefer the Flow Actuated unloaders because the pressure will gradually build up over a few seconds to full psi which gives the operator time to compensate for the force being imposed upon them.

At first, I used to love the pressure actuated unloaders because it gave you that instant gratification like shooting a rifle with a kick. (that was the adolescent in me) But now I (the mature and more experienced me) prefer the Flow Actuated unloaders because of the lower operator fatigue in using one. They dont jerk you around so much. (sheesh...I'm getting to old for this............body aint what it used to be)

In answer to your question John, I think the above should sum it up in terms of compatibility for connecting two machines together. My thoughts are, use the pressure actuated unloaders because they are actually the most durable. Flow actuated unloaders would create more down time due to the need for more frequent replacement.

2-high flow unloaders with the big green spring should do just right. Call if you need a price.

my .02......................................................Next!

Rod~

I talked to Larry Hinkley today and first off when using the Booster hose to connect the two powerwashers each powerwasher must have its own unloader which makes sense so once you undo the booster hose you can now use each powerwasher as they were.

Also there is a difference from Pressure actuated,Flow actuated and flow sensative unloaders. My hydrotek has the Flow sensative unloader which means when you stop squeazing the wand the water pressure drops where you can just disconnect the wand if you want to. I like this unloader the best because of the little pressure that you have to deal with when not using and the 1 second build up of pressure when squeezing the trigger. This is the least tiresome of the Unloaders and the safest. My Landa has the Flow Actuated unloader where there is pressure on the wand when not in use which is similiar to the Pressure Unloaders. Now there is a difference from Pressure actuated unloaders to Flow actuated unloaders and Larry explained it to me and I got lost on this but it might have something to do with the bypass.

A long story short I lucked out because you CAN combine the Flow Actuated and the Flow Sensative Unloaders with the Delco Power booster hose which means I don't have to change out any of the unloaders. For once I got lucky:)

And even if you do have to switch em' to pressure actuated, it's not a big cash outlay.

One thing about that which bothers me is using it with a surface cleaner. I feel a flow actuated unloader is easier on the swivel in the long run. It seems to me that spiking the swivel union constantly has to be hell on the inner packings.

Actually, when using a pressure actuated unloader, there will be a spike in the system no matter where the device is after the unloader itself.

The line is constantly under pressure, so when you change over using a cut off valve, there is still pressure to be released once you open the valve and then again once you pull the trigger. The pressure level is constant through out the system with these types of unloaders.

Rod~

That's the way I was seeing it Rod. I've got a q/c pressure gauge, and no matter where you place it, when the trigger is squeezed, the needle quickly spikes up.

Whereas on my flow actutated rig, the pressure ramps up gradually when squeezing the trigger.

I'm not an expert in this matter, but rather expressing observations.