Sign in to follow this  
rocco

baquacil pool chems?

Question

I had a couple ask me if I could find a stain that would hold up to Baquacil pool treatment. My understanding is that everywhere the pool water drips it tends to remove the stain. It goes as far as the drips from them sitting in the chair swing have created small areas of unstained wood. Has anyone worked around this product? any help would be appreciated as I will be bidding on it on the 15th.

4 answers to this question

I am often put off by companies that dont provide an msds online where they advertise their product lines.

On the other hand, pool products have a degrading effect on sealers for decks and such. Wood Tux, for example, is showing signs of lightening where we enter and exit our hottub. Alkaline products on sealers will have an detrimental impact on many surfaces if left unchecked.

Which sealer is currently installed? The answer to this one could help you understand the composition material that is so readily destroyed by these pool chems. Then you could propose another that would be more resilient under their conditions.

Granted, none of them are going to be impervious, but maybe you could find them something that would last longer than what they are currently using.

Keep in mind that if their deck has less than 2' air flow below it, I would not recommend any acrylic or thick resin product. It will crack and peel prematurely from moisture retention.

Rod~

It's been almost 15 years since I worked for a pool and spa company, and we did sell Baquacil and all of the realted products. I was even certified by Baquacil (after only four hours in a classroom). If I am remembering correctly it is peroxide based as opposed to chlorine based.

A local pool store that sells Baquacil (talk to the owner or manager) should be able to help you with the specific chemisty.

Good luck,

Chuck

Cleaner Times Magazine

I do about 5 pools with pressure treated wood around them- Stay away from the dark colors- Use a penitating oil that can be reapplied easily like Ready seal ,Twp, Abr- Film forming finishes are a paine and cause many problems around pools. These finishes start to fail and moisture gets trapped under the finish causing other issues. Also very difficult redo's. The penitrating oils are very easy to maint. without any of these problems. Really the pool water keeps the area clean on my decks.

Might try Sikkens DEK, film former, but tough. Made to be cleaned with bleach frequently. Pretty easy maintenance if it is not failing badly.