Sign in to follow this  
svp07

Moving from Residential to Commerical...

Question

As I have stated before I started my PW company last spring part time, I teach and also coach, and no I am not a low-baller. I think about the future and possible going full time but do not know if it is worth it. I have a small trailer for all my equipment, a cold water unit 4.5/3500, and a 20" surface cleaner. I only do residential right now, but think about commercial work, however, I do not have water recovery or recycling equipment. What type of commercial work does one start with when making the move? What other work can be done with out water recovery/recycling equip.? I am also curious if anyone does apartment complexes and the price/ft. you charge (vinyl siding); what is the differnce if it is brick?

Thanks for the feedback.

4 answers to this question

Recovery applies to all work when the water will reach a storm drain. Some areas do not enforce as much as others, but the law is on the books and they can start anytime.

Having hot water will make a big difference with commercial work. Commercial is very competitive in most areas and without hot, you may not get far. Prices also drop when comparing commercial to residential.

Actually I think one can make more in the commercial sector. Yes, your price per piece drops, but volume make millions. Also, costs are cheaper since you don't have to drive to 4 residential houses to make the same amount of money you could doing 6 hours of commercial work. Oh, and I almost forgot... get the monthly contract!

Recovery is VERY important in the commercial sector. Professionalism number one, EPA number two (or vice versa), and three... it's so much quicker to use a recovery surface cleaner that cleans, rinses and sends the water to your tank. Some jobs I don't even have to rinse it turns out so nice.

Craig,

Thanks for the reply and I do relaize the importance of recoevery. Do you see any form/builldings/etc. that would not need recovery? there is a huge apartment complex by me that is almost all brick and green with mildew. They have grass all the way around them. What is the going rate per foot for 2 story apartment complexes? I have gotten about 2.50/ft. for residential in my area including gutters.

When you recover do you recycle it back to your supply tank?

Steve,

Our going rate for apt's is well below that. As far as recovery it's an EPA issue. I do it because it saves me so much time it's unbelievable. Most jobs require no rinsing AND they come out cleaner because you pick the dirt straight up out of the pores and it doesn't get a chance to spread out. I return the water back into a holding tank where I have an oil absorbant floating filter, filter sock, and another smaller filter for the smallest particles of dirt. I then discharge to the Sanitary Sewer via sump pump out of holding tank.

Any other questions, ask Alan. He's the man and has helped me out immensly in this area!