Sign in to follow this  
Paul B.

Weapons for Food & Medicine.

Question

It's amazing the priority a dictator like Saddam has, while people go hungry and the average worker makes about $2 per week:

50 palaces - spent 90 billion dollars on them in a 10 year period.

Now this from a newsclip from AP this morning:

"The entire country is almost like an ammunitions and weapons dump. And they've placed them in places you would not expect," he said. "There are weapons here from every country in the world that makes weapons."

In the northern city of Mosul, 153 arms caches had already been found, one containing 1.2 million mortar rounds and 65,000 artillery shells. Some 150 arms and ammunition sites have been discovered in Baghdad."

Trade the weapons in for food & medicine!

4 answers to this question

The soldiers weren't stupid, only their leaders.

All the weapons in the world will not help you if you don't have a good plan and a good cause to fight for.

With all that money, they could have afforded to buy or build their own bank (1st National Bank of Saddam). Of course that would leave a paper trail. What's interesting is that they didn't care about leaving a paper trail of the executions, killings and top secret stuff, but they were careful with the money trail.

Do you know that it is very hard to hide money trail in this country (especially large sums). Any amount over $8K going through a bank is reported to the feds. Checks leave a large paper trail; credit cards leave a paper trail.

I like to play mental games (I know, I need a shrink) sometimes and see what it would take to get around things and with the systems that are set up, big brother would not have trouble keeping an eye on 90% of the population in this country.

The only thing to slow them down is the magnitude of info, but even that's not a barrier anymore with the speed increases in computers.

I was watching this program where they were opening criminal cases from 10-15 years ago - with the new computer systems they are able to search and find in 5 minutes what they struggled with for months (finger prints in specific was one area). In 5 minutes they are able to search and cross check in a data base of 5-7 million. Manually, this would be the preverbial needle in a hay stack scanerio.