Sign in to follow this  
KC Deck

One more question

Question

9 answers to this question

Moisture would be measured by a moisture meter. pH (litmus) paper will tell you whether or not the liquid on the wood is an acid or a base.

Hmm....I wonder if a homemade moisture meter can be made from a multimeter reading resistance (available at sears for much less than a moisture meter). One would only need to calibrate it.....

Moisture would be measured by a moisture meter. pH (litmus) paper will tell you whether or not the liquid on the wood is an acid or a base.

Hmm....I wonder if a homemade moisture meter can be made from a multimeter reading resistance (available at sears for much less than a moisture meter). One would only need to calibrate it.....

sounds good about the multi-meter, but wouldn't diferent species of wood (hardness) offer different resistence regardless of the moisture content ? electrical resistence is measured in ohms, wood is a very very poor conductor of electricity, the resistence of wood will be a huge number...??? I honestly don't know, thats why Im asking...........

Micheal,

Yes, you would encounter various conditions. That's the idea behind calibrating it. You would probably want the probes to be very close together. You would also use a table relating wood types and moisture content to the resistance indicated by the meter. If I were going to do any kind of wood work though, I'd just buy the moisture meter. The research they've already done (in the booklet Beth mentions) is worth the cost of the unit itself once you factor in how long it would take you to do the calibration. It was just and idea...sometimes I like to think about useless things :)