Sign in to follow this  
Christopher

*Scam Alert*

Question

Hello Everyone,

I thought I would pass this along. There is a company called "e Smart Pages.com" that is pulling a scam of getting you to purchase listing but not actually listing you and then when you call you can never talk to anyone but get an answering machine or they say they will call you back but never do. I mistakenly paid them back in February thinking they were a local business I wanted to do business with and when I called them wanting my money back and them not even listing my business, all I got was the run-around from everyone I talk to and their supervisors. I should have been more aware but I got scammed. I will file with the Federal Trade Commission and the BBS of Delaware. Everyone watch out for them.

8 answers to this question

Hello Everyone,

I thought I would pass this along. There is a company called "e Smart Pages.com" that is pulling a scam of getting you to purchase listing but not actually listing you and then when you call you can never talk to anyone but get an answering machine or they say they will call you back but never do. I mistakenly paid them back in February thinking they were a local business I wanted to do business with and when I called them wanting my money back and them not even listing my business, all I got was the run-around from everyone I talk to and their supervisors. I should have been more aware but I got scammed. I will file with the Federal Trade Commission and the BBS of Delaware. Everyone watch out for them.

If you paid by CC, just put it into dispute with the CC company.

This is why it is smart to purchase things, especially things like this, with a CC. I think it is 60 days, maybe 90, that you have to dispute it, so hurry!

This is why it is smart to purchase things, especially things like this, with a CC. I think it is 60 days, maybe 90, that you have to dispute it, so hurry!

The commonly told period is 90 days. But as a merchant I can tell that the CC's companies are quick to tell us 12 months. And I have had chargebacks well after 90 days...

I paid with a personal check that cleared on the 15th of March. I thought I was paying the other company that I wanted to do business with. I do not know what else to do. I did file a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission and the Better Business Bureau of Delaware. I will keep looking into what I can do. Thanks for any help.

The commonly told period is 90 days. But as a merchant I can tell that the CC's companies are quick to tell us 12 months. And I have had chargebacks well after 90 days...

The CC company CAN do chargebacks beyond the 90 days, but by law, they HAVE to deal with it if it is within 90 days...beyond that, they are not required by law to do so. Then you're at the mercy of a CC company's whim.

Well, since the CC company gets a hefty fee ($25-35) from the merchant for every chargeback (successfully disputed or not), I suspect that they will gladly show you as much mercy as you would like them to. In 5 years, I am probably 1:20 for successfully disputing chargebacks despite all manner of good documentation. Even with good documentation, they can always claim "not as advertised/promised" and get a chargeback.

Well, since the CC company gets a hefty fee ($25-35) from the merchant for every chargeback (successfully disputed or not), I suspect that they will gladly show you as much mercy as you would like them to. In 5 years, I am probably 1:20 for successfully disputing chargebacks despite all manner of good documentation. Even with good documentation, they can always claim "not as advertised/promised" and get a chargeback.

I've heard plenty of stories of folks missing the deadline for chargebacks and missing out.

Yet another reason I'm not interested in taking CC