Sign in to follow this  
jnoden

pump problem help

Question

I had bought a pw from Lowes last August. direct drive 13.5hp honda, 3700psi @4gpm. It has an AR pump on it. For some unknown reason it always takes 1-5 minutes before it puts out full pressure. I never really understood this and being that I am new to this proffession and it is a new machine, I figured that it is normal. Yesterday during a house wash the pump stopped pumping high pressure and was only at about 1/8 the pressure it should have and it never primed in to full pressure. Left it cool down and same thing. Water supply was adequate. Called Lowes and they said they will send a tech out since it is under warranty but it could take a week or more. I have some jobs lined up and think that I should just buy a new pump. Ill pull the pump off tonight to see if the drive shaft key is broke. Does anyone have some advice or suggestions? This is stressful. My next pw will be belt driven.

8 answers to this question

There are a couple of things you can look at, before you go out and buy a new pump. The first is you will want to check the unloader. That is the brass thingy that is hanging off of the side of the pump with a knob on top to adjust the pressure. You probably have one of those that has a hard line that runs between the top of the pump and the bottom. This makes it a lot harder to check. What you can do is remove the two bolts that hold it on, and attach a hose with an open gun, Tie it open with a wire tie or something so that there is no chance of it closing while the machine is running. If you have full pressure then the unloader is bad. You can get one at any pressure washer distributor by asking for an unloader for a 3700 PSI machine.

The 1 to 5 minutes for full pressure perplexes me, unless you are running off of a tank. then it is simply a matter of it is taking that long to prime. This is not a good thing. The packings inside the head get hot and idstorted and lose there seal. This could also be why you are getting no pressure. This is a little more involved for a repair, and I would pay someone to let me watch them do it, before I tackled it myself.

Or you could just wait for the Lowes tech, who might or might not have a clue. Feel free to give me a call if you have any questions. 602-509-9741 is my cell phone.

Scott Stone

I found someone who will look at it tomorrow and throw a new pump on if needed. He is qualified to do warranty work for Lowes. I might have lucked out here. I already postponed two customers so hopefully it will be fixed in the next couple days. I was researching it a little Scott and I think you might be right that it is probably either an unloader problem or the packings. Guy told me that they have a lot of problems with the pumps from Lowes. They are AR however and I thought that more could be expected from these pumps. My last PW from Lowes did the same thing and I took it back and upgraded to this one. Cant wait to get a belt drive. thanks for the response just the same.

I've been using pressure washers for over 15 years. I've owned and operated hot water, cold water, high pressure, UHP, belt and direct drive. I've been trained and certified by Honda engines and Cat pumps. I've been through the Devilbiss training program and was certified to do their warranty work which in St. Louis covers the units that Lowes sells.

My question is this. . .Why exactly does everyone believe that the belt driven machines are so much better?

As an owner operator I prefer direct drive. Speaking from the warranty and repair side of things a belt driven machine is more expensive all the way around. What am I missing?

Russell thats a good question. I own both a Direct Drive and Belt Drive and I have not had any pump related problems from either of them. I have read were they say that you cannot draw from a water tank with a Direct Drive but I did it for three years and the machine still runs like a top. I have read about RPM and the pump running faster with the Direct drive unit and with a Belt Drive the pump runs slower. Im no Engineer but if its made right and for that application it should work fine IMHO.

I had bought a pw from Lowes last August. direct drive 13.5hp honda, 3700psi @4gpm. It has an AR pump on it. For some unknown reason it always takes 1-5 minutes before it puts out full pressure. I never really understood this and being that I am new to this proffession and it is a new machine, I figured that it is normal. Yesterday during a house wash the pump stopped pumping high pressure and was only at about 1/8 the pressure it should have and it never primed in to full pressure. Left it cool down and same thing. Water supply was adequate. Called Lowes and they said they will send a tech out since it is under warranty but it could take a week or more. I have some jobs lined up and think that I should just buy a new pump. Ill pull the pump off tonight to see if the drive shaft key is broke. Does anyone have some advice or suggestions? This is stressful. My next pw will be belt driven.

the unloader is black with a small plastic cap on it...it doesnt look like it is a cap, but it is there.....pry it off with a knife or small screwdriver...you will be able to see down into the body of the unloader.....the unloader turns clockwise to turn the pressure all the way up.....when its turned all the way (full pressure) the bolt (or nut or hex, dont remember what it is) down inside may not be turned all the way... put a socket on it and tighten it all the way down.......put the silly black cap back on and you should be in business......(been there done that with the AR) and never again turn the pressure down with the unloader.....in case it got turned, I never again messed with my unloader.....been great ever since

I have no other complaints with the direct drive...at least not yet (knock on wood)

Hey, jnoden, there should be a small brass valve on the right side of the pump manifold on the high pressure part with a piece of tubing going into the side of the inlet strainer. These easy start valves sometimes fail. Start the machine, squeeze the trigger, and crimp the tubing with pliers. If pressure comes up, you've found your culprit.

I have the same problems sometimes with mine. I take the spray tip off and let the water flow for about 20 sec. put the tip back in and I have full pressure.