Sign in to follow this  
Celeste

Fur removal before applying a "Wet" sealer

Question

Here's one that's not been asked......

Everyone is interested in these products that can be applied the same day as washing. Less trips to the property, less gas money, more profit. Good goal....

BUT - how to defur the wet wood if this problem arises? If one must wait until the wood is "dry" to defelt, then the wet application is not going to decrease anything but weather delays, right?

Celeste

11 answers to this question

Agreed.

If you have to knock off fuzzies, you need to let the wood dry. So for a strip job, you would need to apply it dry, for a standard grey deck wash, you can apply wet.

This is a really good point!

Beth

If you have to wait 2 hours between cleaning and staining wouldn't that be enough time for the surface to dry enough to defur the surface. As long as there isn't any staining water I bet you could use a brush or pad to remove the fuzzies.

2hrs??? hmmm, sounds like a gummy Osborne to me. If you want to make buffing easier, apply some Timbor after stripping, then come back and buff in a few days. For some unknown reason to me, borate makes buffing much easier. A 5'er would probably cover 40 decks, cost of about $2 per deck for chems.

Hey Jon,

I use the Tim-Bor for boring insects....mix in with water and spray on via the sureflo. Is that the same way you apply it?

I've never heard about making it easier to de-fur. Can you explain more?

We have, but not always. Depends on how hot it is. There is a big difference between an 80 degree day, partial sun on the deck and a full sun deck at 95 degrees... a deck like that in full sun in the middle of the day can give you heat stroke fast.

We look at air temp, humidity, exposure, plant cover, etc. when we decide on that. We also will schedule jobs that are full sun decks for either early or late inthe day, and try to choose those with partial shade or shade for the middle of the day if we can.

Wood Tux wet should make it much easier in that regard, since you can cool the boards down if they are hot and dry.

Beth :groovy:

p.s. if youhave not read about heat stroke and are new, go to the Library Forum and read the article on it. Be safe in the heat. :sunshine:

Ken, Aplus,

Timbor is DOT (short for the chem. name), or borate. Effective for fungus reduction and deterent for some insects. Just plain borate is just a surface product, if you want good results you have to use a Glycol-Borate, which carries the borate into the wood fully. these are very expensive, like maybe $0.25 per sq.ft. But kills everything in it's way, which makes it popular for a wood home.

Yes Aplus, mix at (I think?) 10% and apply, and don't rinse. Apply to wet wood. I cannot provide concrete data as to why it makes buffing easier, but I know and others I've talked with know that is does for some reason. Perhaps the reason is that it is similar to a salt, which might "crustify" the fuzz. I don't know, wouldn't cost much to try for yourself though. Even if I couldn't get someone to bite on the up-sell of the Borate on a home, I'd apply anyway just to make my life easier.

jon