Sign in to follow this  
deck1

first time bidding decks

Question

im just getting started doing deck restoration part time i have a chance to get three decks maybe four in a row in a subdivision. one will be stripping sealer cleaning and resealing. two will be cleaning and sealing. all decks are PT wood, deck sizes are 12'x14' railings on three sides square spindels 4.5" apart two steps on each deck could someone help me with a price. i dont want to be to low if this works out i want to stay in for the long haul. also what products do you think are the safest for landscaping and simple to use.thanks for your help and advice. Mike

6 answers to this question

It would be in your best interest to use the search function and spend at least a good week learning. There are many, many good threads on wood restoration, take advantage of them. Just as a side note, wood restoration is not somthing you can just go into blindly without proper training and research. Here was one the threads that seems to have some good information about pricing.

http://www.thegrimescene.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2057&highlight=deck+pricing

i have been thinking about this for a long time. i have reserched and reserched some more. i read about chemicals,equipment,i read post after post almost every night. i dont run out and do things half way. i live in the midwest. i hope this works into full time. a little moral support is always a good thing.

You'll do just fine. Pricing decks is difficult when just beginning. First you have to take in account if they need to be stripped or not. If they do, then they cost more than just a simple wash and stain. Call other deck companies in your area and try to find out the going rate for decks.

Hey Deck1,

Look in the regional forums - there are some folks in Iowa who may be able to give you some area specific information.

Celeste

PS - You'll do great - there's lots of moral support and assistance here!

I think you'll do fine as well, but it just doesn't seem like you have all of your ducks in a row. You say you've done all this reasearch, if so, you would allready know what chemicals you should need or look into needing. Also, If you've done a lot of reasearch, you would allready know what the going rate per sq. for deck restoration is in your area. I'm not trying to give you a hard time, but the questions you ask are very basic and can be found easily by using the search funtion or digging into the forums link. I just think that for someone who allready has a few decks lined up, theses are questions that you should allready have the answers to.