Sign in to follow this  
eads

Cleaning Brick

Question

Have a job I have to do tomorrow cleaning red brick walls and windows. Both has mold and mildew on them. Can anybody tell me if i would be safe using a regular home brewed house wash mix, and as far as the windows will dawn and ammonia do the trick. Need quick advice please.

8 answers to this question

If this is not new construction brick, your regular housewash mix should be fine for general dirt, mold, mildew, etc... Someone that worries with windows, give up some info please :) We just use our housewash & squeegee if we need to.

Celeste

I use my regular house wash on brick for the typical dirt/mildew cleaning. as for windows, I use chlorine and emlusifer plus in my house wash and 9 times out of ten as long as I gently rinse the window after each section of the house I complete, the windows look as good as they would as if I cleaned them by hand with windex. actually, I did a house wash today where the women praised me up and down for how well her windows looked when I was done. SPOT FREE ALWAYS! maybe it has somthing to do with the kind of water we have around here, I don't know. I do think the emulsifer plus has somthing in it that aids in preventing streaks or spots on windows.

So I shouldnt have to worry about windows using my housewash mix as long as i rinse them thouroghly, or should i use my squeeqee?

I believe what Carolina Pro Wash was getting at is this, new construction brick you need some type of muratic and you must take extreme caution around windows with this.

I believe what Carolina Pro Wash was getting at is this, new construction brick you need some type of muratic and you must take extreme caution around windows with this.

Ok, I read into it that there was a problem with new brick and housewash. I was ready to soak up some more knowledge...

New brick construction is not dirt/mold/mildew removal. There are mortar smears and tags which require acid and scraping for removal. The product we use for new construction will not harm glass (as far as etching) so precautions are with ppe more than with surrounding parts of the house. Regular housewash will not touch anything on new construction except for maybe airborne dirt and dust.

Phillip, we do new construction brick weekly and would be more than happy to fill you in on any questions you might have - Feel free to call :)

Celeste

When I hear house wash mix, I think chlorine. If so,

don't use any ammonia based products on the windows!

Chlorine & Ammonia create toxic, lethal gas. I wouldn't take the chance of house wash mix coming into contact with the window cleaner, seeping through bad caulking or whatever, and gassing the people in the house.