Sign in to follow this  
dennis mcguinn

Cleaning old historic district house

Question

My name's Dennis and I live in Charleston, SC. I have an SC3008 Hydrotek, which is about a year old. I have been regularly cleaning modern built homes, mostly vinyl siding, none older than 25-30 years old.

Got a call from a lady who lives in one of the old historic homes in downtown Charleston. It's a typical Charleston row house. The wood on the side is 140 years old, don't know what kind. Painted. The house is good shape for its age, no rot, no loose boards, everything looks good.

Here's my question. I need recommendations on tip sizes. I would like to get a little more than the soap tip provides, and a whole lot less than my 1508 puts out. Any tips or suggestions about working on an historic house? Anybody done much with that?

What about the windows? They have a Board of Architectural Review here, and owners can only use caulk and/or glazing that would have been used at the time of construction. I believe what is often used here is a ground-up animal bone mixture. What effect would pressure washing, the soap, the 12.5 bleach, have on such a mixture? Does anyone know?

I would really appreciate any help with this. Obviously, old Charleston is full of these types of houses, so I need to learn how to wash them. But I certainly don't want to have to recaulk a bunch of windows at $100/quart for caulk just to figure it out on my own. I hate reinventing the wheel. All you guys have been great, and have helped me learn a lot this past year. I truly could not have succeeded without this website, and your assistance, whether you know it or not.

Thanks in advance. Dennis

1 answer to this question

I would apply my chemicals with my Shurflo, brush the window frames by hand, and rinse with a garden hose from a ladder or make-shift scaffolding system. Like you said, one small mistake and you are in some serious trouble. Don't sweat making less money per hour. As you go you will refine your sytem and before you know it you will be *THE* name in historic house cleaning.