Sign in to follow this  
ServiceWizards

Drip & brush marks using Flood Spa-n-deck

Question

We used Flood Spa-N-Deck after almost exclusively using Readyseal which doesn't cause any runs or laps. There are several mistakes we made during this $1500 job that I'm not sure can be corrected. If I had to do again, I'd probably seal the deck myself when it was a lot cooler.

At any rate, I need to fix some problems for a vey particular customer. I'd say about 85% of the deck looks fantastic but there are 3-4 noticeable brush marks that are in the wood now, one going completely against the grain. There are also some drip marks behind the railings that my guy didn't catch.

This customer is not motivated by discounts, he wants as much of these issues fixed as possible. Is it realistic to sand the back of the railings down and reapply the sealer? What about the brush markings? Is there anything that can be done or is my customer stuck with looking at this for the next few years?

Any help you wonderful folks can give me at recouping some of my money would be greatly appreciated.

Mista-Clean

6 answers to this question

Is the problem in the top coat or the base coat - although realistically, they should be in the color coat since the base is an oil and penetrates, unless the whole project was brushed. With the top coat being the acrylic, I would think that a light sand then reapplication of the color might work. As far as brush marks ACROSS the grain? Same process I guess, but I would think that back brushing WITH the grain would be the proper procedure from here on in.

Going from Ready Seal to the Spa n Deck is a pretty big leap....goof-proof to pretty difficult.

Celeste

Mistaclean,

I don't understand exactly what you mean in your description of where the problems are, but I'll assume you have a board on the floor that is messed up.

If it is just one board, I'd tape off around it, and apply plastic. I'd contact Biowash, www.biowash.com and find where to get Removall 310. Brush on the board, sit 30min., brush more on, sit, and lightly scrub. Then wash off. Will take you back to bare wood, make sure to rinse the residue thoroughly. If the whole floor is bad, I'd do the same thing to the floor, brush or roll on. Important--stop and start at the beginning and end of a board if doing a small spot, otherwise a guy like this will notice the overlap.

Thanks guys. I'm going to try a few of your outstanding suggestions. Needless to say, the guy who worked with me on this will no longer be working with me anymore. I learned a ton during the process, unfortunately it was on a very nice deck job.

There are probably 8 boards and several railings that need work but we'll get it done. I tell you, this stuff is very unforgiving and nothing at all like ReadySeal or even Penofin for that matter.

You guys are great, I'll let you all know what exactly I did.

The lesson to be learned and taken here is that a professional should never use a customers property to learn how to use an unfamiliar product.

Hopefully all will work out with the suggestions you receive.

Good luck and let us know how it turned out.