Sign in to follow this  
CLASSICPW

Solid tips

Question

I don't recall a thread on tips on brushing and rolling solids. I hope everyone can give up some secrets to help this process go by faster. It takes me and my helper about 7-8 hours to solid stain a 500 sq ft 2nd story deck with steps. We use a 6" wizz roller 4" stain brush and 1"nap 9" roller. Is there anyway to make spindles go faster? I really hate doing this, I charge a pretty penny, but i still feel that it lowers my profit margin. I much rather spray and back brush semi's, but there's always that job.

4 answers to this question

For solids, we use a Titan 440i airless sprayer. Depending on what you're spraying will determine back brushing or not. Flood Spa n Deck - yes, the solid stain we put on a cedar sided house (don't anyone even ask!) no back brushing at all.

Couldn't you just choke these stain people that have made it "fashionable" for the deck to match the color of the house!

Celeste

Definately a 9" pad on the floors. Rollers stipple and brushes flick stain. Smaller pads and Bestt Liebco brushes for everything else. Also those little trim pads work great if the decking boards are spaced kinda far apart.

I gotta try the "stain stick" that Brian sells.

I use sponge rollers when rolling and feather out the edges. Same when you use a brush for cutting in, feather out the brush stroke. This keeps lap marks away.

reed