Sign in to follow this  
CCHSNC

F-18 does it again!!!!

Question

So my guys were stripping a log home today and on the second floor there is a small addition. Well on that addition was paint with stain over it. The stain literally started to run off while applying the stripper but that's not the cool part. I mixed 1 gallon of F-18 at around 25-30 oz (weight) per gallon. The wall size is around 5t x 20l, by the time the stripper was done being applied (about 5 minutes) they started to wash from the starting point and the paint just melted off. Now I don't know what kind of paint it was so please don't take this as saying that F-18 will remove all paints but I will tell you this, you stand a 90% better chance removing paint with plain F-18 than with HD-80 and its Boost stuff.

53 answers to this question

You don't see many 50 yer old roofers either, come to think of it. Some physical labor just becomes too rough on the body as we age. Even now, I find that I can still work hard, but not as long as I used to be able to.

I sure hope that by the time I hit the big 5-0, I don't have to pull the trigger anymore, and can focus on just running the business.

Also Beth/Rod, I have to admit to being green enough to wonder why someone would need to stock two kinds of hydroxide strippers?

Ken,

Some woods are not as easy to brighten as others are, thusly you don't want to darken them too much in the strip process if you can avoid it. Both Ipe and Redwood come to mind here. In these cases, we might be inclined to take the F-18 with us to use. Rod also says he would be more apt to use it on cedar, since he can use it stronger with not as much furring. This also depends on the age and condition of the wood, as well as what we are doing. Either Rod or I visually inspect all jobs at estimate time, so we have a pretty good handle on what needs to be used on what job. We make notes when we visit the home, so when we get the job, we know what we need to have with us.

Hope this helps.

Beth