Sign in to follow this  
FullBlast

Darker sealer spots???

Question

Yesterday I sealed my first deck and we used Sherwin williams redwood mixed a lil darker and now tell me how you fel do this?? I used a pump up spray and I thot that put it on to thick, I did my railing first then the floor but where the sealer driped down from the railing it is darker than the rest of the deck. I tryed to keep it brushed out but its thicker under railing.

How do you keep that from happening?

Does anybody use pump sray to seal?

Is that how you do it railing first?

Used three times to much sealer!!!! and took longer than I figued.

I spray everything that rolled/brushed everything.

What are the one two three's to staining deck?

Just afew ?? I had. Thanks a lot partners!!!

I get some pic soon as I figure how to get my pics to fit.

19 answers to this question

well, putting a tarp or plastic down first would help tremendously. Then, brush, roll, or rag the spindles. This way you dont waste too much stain in overspray, and get the drips on the deck. If you use an oil based stain, it will soak into the wood, and yes, make it look different. The only way to get those drip stains out is to wait for it to dry, and sand them out, and reapply the stain.

So is that what most people do to the railing, brush,rag or roll? No spray? As I was doing it I kept after the drips so it not really drip spots, just a darker wood about a foot in from the railing.

Can you go back in a month and give another coat of sealer??

I am not a deck man -99.9% hoods.About 8 decks so far this year just kinda fell my way.I used ReadySeal on all and this stuff is really dummy proof.I used my shurflo which I use to apply hood cleaning chems to apply the cleaner(straight Wallmart bleach with a squirt of Dawn)Brightener(oxalic acid from my chem supplier)and the stain(ReadySeal).All your drips,runs etc.really do as advertised.These deck suprised the hell out of me.They turned out awesome.Also had to strip 3 of these decks and used sod. hydroxide.On the first stripping I used the Sod. hydroxide right from my hood cleaning mix.Big mistake.I had to spend 4 hours sanding before staining because of fuzzies.On the next one I cut my sodium hydroxide flake mix way down and just kept the deck wet for 20 min.Fuzzies were minimal.Tarping the deck to spray spindles sounds like a pain.

Pad or brush the drips out and leave no defined edges to the spill or over spray. Make it fade as it would look like your brush or pad ran out of product. This makes it easier to blend once you are ready to do the floors and avoid applying more product to this area to avoid double coating and lap marks.

Putting down plastic sounds like a good idea at first but if you are working on a raised deck, consider the fact that the plastic under your feet does not give a good foot hold to keep your feet in place. You also will get product on the plastic making it slippery as ice which will cause you to loose your footing and could result in a fall.

A small drop cloth may be a better solution but not spread out so much that you are standing on it.

Keep on paying this kind of attention to details and you will become a deck expert in no time. :)

Rod~

What are the one two three's to staining deck?

1..Clean the deck and remove any old finish.

2.. Do any prep work if needed..plastic,cover plants etc.

3.. Use a GOOD penetrating stain with good oils in it ..No Linseed oil ,No veggie oil like Sherwin Williams has.Also no film forming stains either.

I spray all my jobs"shurflo" handrails etc. and backpad i never have a problem with color variation.I also use a stain that blends in great that won't leave drip marks.

If that S/W stain is that hard to work with it doesn't sound like it's worth using.

Well the wood is old and soaked up the sealer about as fast as you put it down so frying to fade it out , thats what I tried to do but... S/W thats what the lady wanted.

This is the worse job I have ever done first I let the lady chew me down on the price, then she bugs the tar out of me... then she has me get darker stain... then it take way to much sealer... it took way longer than I thot... and o crap she just call now and said today rain ruined it!?~!@#$%^&

Now I have more problems and more ?????

First ?? is can any give a loan to go on vacation for a decade??

second?? is now what do I do? Start clear over strip the deck and reseal???

Please help before I go and get a 8-5 job!!

Did you use the oil base or water base.

If the rain caused some spots you should be able to rub those out with some mineral spirits. Then touch those spots up and blend them in.

what are your main problems with this deck the drip marks?

Fullblast,sounds like your at the end of your rope with that job.Tie a knot and hang on.Nightmare jobs arrise once and a while.Post a pictured of her rain ruined deck and one of the seasoned Woodies on this site should be able to point you in the right direction.

Good luck

I've always used an airless to apply sherwin williams.....a trick to get rid of the dark marks is a lambs wool pad soaked in mineral spirits....just rub them out...but it only works within a couple hours of sealing.....after that the dark marks are hard to work with.

Andy

I use old bed sheets as drop cloths when staining. I use some cheap spring clamps to hold them on the rails, and then tuck the excess under the rail. The sheet catches the overspray from the airless, and the area tucked under the rail catches any mistakes. They are a lot cheaper than drop cloths, and absorb the stain unlike the plastic. Try a local thrift store for cheap sheets.

Try a local thrift store for cheap sheets.

I get my sheets from a company that get them from a hospital after they have been steralized :cool:

I get my sheets from a company that get them from a hospital after they have been steralized :cool:

Do you save a lot of money using sheets as opposed to drop clothes?

Well we get a 100# box for $100 i believe and we re-use them quite a bit till they get too soaked.

They are all white light cotton sheets so the plants can breath :cool:

Did you use the oil base or water base.

If the rain caused some spots you should be able to rub those out with some mineral spirits. Then touch those spots up and blend them in.

what are your main problems with this deck the drip marks?

It was a water base sealer, Redwood toner spiked a lil darker.

What is my main problem? the lady Im workin for...

No it rained now and my deck messed up now so I want to get down there today and get some pics then see if I can figure out how to get them downsized to fit. Thanks all for help with the pic ?? I haven't tried some of your ideas yet but I will try.