Sign in to follow this  
Paul B.

BBQ Ribs for Mother's Day.

Question

I don't know about you folks, but anytime I'm willing to prepare my BBQ baby back ribs and fried red cabbage/sauer kraut dish, no one wants to go and eat at a restaurant.

I had 3 satisfied mothers at our dinner table for Mother's day.

I won't show you after photos as it got pretty ugly (never seen mothers fighting over ribs like that), bones everywhere.

After the storm, they were all napping like babies. What a pleasant site.

This is the first batch on the grill:

22 answers to this question

And they strack up real well.

Although there never seems to be enough room on a plate.

By the way, the meat falls right off the bone if prepared properly.

I suggest you make another rack or two, pack in dry ice and overnight them to me.

Very RUDE to show us that good finger lickin food and not offer any to us.

Such Southern Hospitality!

Now I am hungry man, all because you showed us some good BBQ Ribs.

Jon

Jon,

Even the light eating 93 year old ate extra portions.

That is the best compliment a chef can have - when all the food disappears.

I'm all out of good ribs for now. I usually keep 1/4 of the freezer stocked with special baby backs - it's grill season in the north (but I grill all year around). I'm waiting for my next good batch at a reasonable price. I don't like to pay $6 per pound (normal price around here).

I will put you on my list and will try to do that this year. Until then, keep licking your chops - you'll enjoy it that much more.

Also make sure you have some saratoga chips for dipping in the BBQ sauce.

Paul,

I'm only 30 minutes north of the ohio border, off i75. I think I could shoot down and have some ribs, and tell Jon how good they were..;)

Maybe sometime this year we should have a party and host it in a central place and have everyone bring one dish.... nah...never happen. But Those ribs...they are calling to me.

Hey Paul, that red cabbage dish...you talking about schmokraut? With the caraway seeds in it? LOVE that stuff.

Beth

Beth,

I'm not sure on the name, but I've seen 3 or 4 recipes from different countries that are similar (German, Polish, Austrian, Hungarian). I picked up the recipe from my grandmother and also my mother (both Hungarian born).

I fry the caraways without popping or burning, then rinse and fry the sauerkraut in oil (without burning) then add the red cabbage (drain the liquid if using bottled cabbage) then fry some more. (Adding the cold sauerkraut to the hot oils is always dangerous - you have to sneak up on it.) I also add sugar (while frying) to make it somewhat sweet tasting, then simmer it under cover to soften and combine the color. Takes about 1/2 hour for serving of 8-12.

Those Ribs look great.

Have to post some pic's of my next Pig Pickin. I do the company picnic every year. Cook whole pig, 80 LBS of short ribs....

mmmmm..

mouth startin to water already

Just rub it in guys and gals, make me starve even more.

I want my RIBS NOW, I am hungry since I am just waking up.

Food in the way of BBQ Baby Back Ribs.

Right Beth, a nice big BBQ get together and leave me out, geez;)

YEP! It's German. And it's schmokraut. AND...try cooking a pork loin roast and taking the drippings and adding them to the schmokraut. YUMMY! I'll get my mom's recipe and post it. It's sooooooooooooooo good with pork. Can't recall ever having it with beef. Love good German potato salad too.

Beth:cool:

Beth,

Is your mom of German ancestry?

Pork drippings add a wonderful flavor to a lot of dishes.

I use it frequently. Have to watch my mom though, she's had quad. by-pass a couple of years ago and she's starting to forget how to eat properly so I try not to tempt her. The Hungarians are notorious for eating lard, pork drippings, pork rinds - all the stuff that clogs your arteries.

My favorite dish with pork drippings is stewed hot peppers and tomatoes with onions. Add a bit of sausage ...Jon,

Jon

The BBQ is on the west coast. Heck, it costs more for me to fly to Cleveland than to California. Let's see... Cleveland or California, ...Cleveland or California ... It's a no-brainer. Besides, ever since they inducted the Bee Gees into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, I've been boycotting Cleveland. I can't imagine - disco just about killed R&R and these yahoos induct them into the R&R Hall of Shame. Don't get me started (I'm a pureist).

Howard,

How do you prepare the pig? In the ground, in a drum?

I've done 'em both ways. The fun part is staying awake all night and talking about how good it's going to taste. We always go thru at least a couple of half barrels just sitting around smelling the smoke. Last one we had, there must have been about 250 people there thru the night, the next day, and the following night. Clean-up is a lot of work and not too many people stick around for that. I need about a week to recoup from one of those events. It's tough getting old!

My better half taught me how to make black beans and yellow rice (Cuban style with a twist - lots of garlic and bay leafs). Goes well with roasted pork.

One of my employers always has a gentlemans BBQ. He owns about 3000 acres south of Lexington. He raises and breeds angus cattle. He has a large hog and all the steak you can eat. Usually has about 400-500 people attending his events.

OK, who likes stone crab claws?

Paul

I've never done it in the ground used wood/charcoal/ and gas in a cooker. I know what ya mean it takes alot out of ya to stay up all night. I don't do that any more, use gas and it takes about 6 hours to cook a 180lb pig. Quit using wood or charcoal when I started looking around around about 4 - 5 AM and I was the only one awake and sober. Then later I looked around and I was the only one there at all. So since I'm doing it by my lonesome then I do it on my terms.

Let me know when the next "gentlemans" BBQ is I promise not to so too much of my red neck. or as Garth Brooks put it "show up in boots" hahaha.

Stone Crab? You haven't had crabs until you taste Maryland Blue Crabs. Next best thing to King/Snow Crab. I can taste em now Steamed Blue Crabs, lots of cold beer maybe even some osyters and or steamed spiced shrimp....

Ok....Now I've done it.... done went and flung a cravin on me...have to go out on the boat and get me some crabs when they come in..........

Pig in the ground, squeeling piggy knows what is going to happen but the smell is enough to ruin your meal if you are not strong of will and STOMACH.

Father in law used to make it all the time and bring it here, they lived in Hawaii and man is that Kalua pig super great. I think I spelled it right, brain dead from working all night.

Hungry too but seeing how GREEDY someone is he would not share his RIBS with me.

Jon

PS: Rock n Roll is here to stay and what makes you think you know the stuff I grew up with since all you is is a Hound Dog :)

There is nothing like fishing in the ocean - never know what you're going to catch not when. Stone Crabs are great appetizers, sweeter than lobster tails. Most seafoods are to die for including mahi, mahi (dolphin), crab shark (prepared properly) and grouper.

I'm hungry too and all the ribs and schmokraut was gone this morning. The only thing I can do is lick my fingers to see if any BBQ sauce is left on them? Juuck!!! ...tastes like Sodium Metasilicate!

Now I have to go and get a couple of HOT brats and wash it down with a cold beer (the boss lets me drink on the job from time to time). And this is the time, I can't find a better excuse ...Juuck, spit, speuwee!!!

Someone start my truck...out of my way!!! ....

Don't ya just hate it when a customer is standing around watching you work, while he quaffs a cold beer, while complaining how hot it is?

I wasn't wash working, I was inspecting near the end of the job and I was offered a beer. I had to turn it down because the worker bees were still at it. I try to lead by example.

When I drink everybody drinks. When I buy, everybody buys!

After they left, I continued the networking and B.S. session over a 6-pack. We're doing concrete work for the owner and his brother, cleaning a couple other houses as neighbors stopped in on the B.S. session.

I'll show you a photo of this mans garage and I'll give you my sales strategy.

Observations:

The house is on a corner of a 4-way intersection in a semi busy but upscale neighborhood where most lots are about 1 acre minimum.

The garage doors are facing the street and several houses.

The owner is maticulous.

The owner likes restoring cars (has many trophies to show for it).

The 3-car garage is the man's club-house.

The owner has neighbors and friends that drive by and frequently make stops.

Strategy:

The cleaning of the garage front was given EXTRA special attention. Gutters shined, garage door brush scrubbed and the garage and garage entry door windows were cleaned inside and out.

2 hour B.S. session followed the completion of the work. The results were:

The garage floor will be cleaned & epoxy coated.

The driveway will be cleaned and sealed. (Old contractor out, new contractor in.)

Walkways and porch will be cleaned and sealed.

Owner's brothers house will be cleaned.

Brother's driveway will be cleaned and sealed along with walkways and porch.

Brother's garage will be cleaned & epoxy coated.

2 neighbor houses will be cleaned (they noticed the extra care and hand brushing detail work that was given to the garage doors. They also noticed the shiny new gutters and wanted ones just like those.

Bottom line: $4,500 work lined up while drinking beer and talking about cars. This is the tip of the iceberg in this area.

Paul, your my hero, when I grow up I wanna be just like you.

I feel the same way when I work everyone works, when the job is done then we can drink a cool one. I usually bring a cooler along for the crew after the job is complete.

Being retired U. S. Navy I have done some, no... alot.. of "work" at first the enlisted Club then the Chiefs club over a few cold beers. More things have been done and fixed at the "Club" after hours then anyone knows. ahhh for the good ol days.

Now where did I put my reading glasses so I can read this MSDS label. Why do they make the printm soooo small??

YEP! I am part German. Part English too so I burn easily if I'm not careful.

Paul, Disco has it's place. Now I'm a rock 'n roll lover, but if you want to dance, disco is one of the better types of music to dance to. (stop laughing) Rod and I are actually pretty good at the Hustle. We took lessons from a former Hustle champion. It's alot like figure skating with no skates. (stop laughing)

Who mentioned crabs? We Marylanders (HOWARD? chime in) have the best crabs out here. Nothing like a good blue claw with extra old bay spice and ICE COLD beer! Maybe even a piece of fresh corn on the cob too! :) Rod won't eat crab, so I throw a steak on for him while I pick my way through the crabs and my fingers and lips begin to burn from the salt.

I love summer time food.

Beth :)

Howard,

Some days you step in it and other days it gets poured over your head. I've had many turns in the barrel. Lets just say I accentuate the positive. I like my beer glass half full.

As for bonding with the Bubba's, those were the good old days.

Talk about glasses - Today I backed over a couple of driveway lights in a customer's DRIVEWAY (I wasn't drinking - maybe that was the problem). Now I know why these guys don't let me drive a trailer, I would have backed over about 10 lights (might as well replace them in sets). No harm done, everyone laughed when I handed over some cash.

In some circles I ran a few years ago, if you didn't hit a golf ball, you didn't get the work. I love any sport where you can drink and play and drive around a cart full of beer. Didn't care for the crowd - too restrictive - I like to play outside of the sandbox from time to time.

Beth,

I took some steps to disco myself and even line danced with my soul sisters and brothers.

And it's always summer, if you want it to be - winter is the best time to vacation in the tropics.

Eastcoast crab is great, but if you haven't tried stone crab claws, you've missed the boat.

Paul,

I'm just partial to blue claw crabs...I'm an East Coast girl born and raised. :) I hear you regarding summer, but I must say, there are some winter dishes I do love, and wouldn't want to give them up. So many recipes, so little time, so many calories...

So you hustle? If we ever meet, we'll have take a few steps. Rod and I don't line dance, but we do: salsa, cha cha, fox trot, waltz, rumba, and swing in addition to the Hustle. The others are beginner level, Hustle is intermediate level. We will try to take advanced Hustle this fall.

Beth

Can't stay on the floor too long now days, even the slow ones take it out of me. Torn ligaments in ankle, bad back (moved too much furniture and appliances by myself in my life - now I'm paying for it) not to mention a couple more things that slow me down. Water activities I can handle real well.

I try local foods wherever I go. Florida lobster tastes different from main lobster (where are the claws?) - I like them both.

I've tasted no less than 100 types conch chowder - liked maybe about 25% as (far as conch chowder goes) all the others were either tomato or vegetable soups.

I'm a soup person myself. Ever try cold sour cherry soup?

Best after it's refrigerated. I put Merlot in mine toward the end of the cooking process (keeps it from evaporating) and keeps everyone coming back for seconds.

There are other cold fruit soups also for summertime - apple, raspberry or just about any other soup.

Give me an example of winter food (I can't think of one at the moment other than hot soup).

The swing will use up about all the calories you can consume.

One set of our kids took up swing a while ago (he's 6'-4" 240 and she is 4' something - size 0 ) talk about lift and throw.

My better half loves to watch ballroom dancing - she's got a few moves herself.