Sign in to follow this  
M Pearlstein

What grit sandpaper

Question

I stripped a deck last week and there are a few spots that did not come up that I plan on sanding off. I have searched for sandpaper grit guidelines but cant seem to find any. I thought I read at one point that too fine a grit will make it hard for the sealer to penetrate but I do not know what grit that was in reference too.

Thanks

3 answers to this question

Thanks ken - it is PT so I will bring both and see what happens. Here are some pics pre stripping and unfortunately when I went to reduce their size the program I used had a bug and cropped the picture which I saved before I noticed. Hopefully one of these will make an insert or I am going to need to use a differnet deck fro my brochure,

You can see the way the sun hits the deck and it is the shady areas that kicked my but and did not fully strip with the Wolman's junk I was using.

Also, notice how the spindles are floor boards. I am curious as to how everyone prices railings like this. I think I greatly underestimated the sf and chems needed for those boards since the soak up a ton and obviously require both sides to be stripped and sealed.

OH and finally, you see the small raised section in the first pic. This is where I did all my testing and began and it came up like cake. I found out 3/4 of the first day when stripping that this section was added much later which is why it came up so easily. If it all would have coem up that way I would have been done in 1 less day.

post-1075-137772143275_thumb.jpg

post-1075-137772143285_thumb.jpg

post-1075-137772143296_thumb.jpg

Price rails height x length = SqFt to be added to the rest of the deck measurements.

60-80 grit is standard for outdoor wood prep.

40-60 grit for harder woods and heavy sanding to reduce raised grain to level.

In the future, conduct your test spots on the rails just under the rail cap. These are the hardest to strip as they do not get sun exposure and are usually the first swipe with a full brush or pad during application and gets the heaviest coat.

Verticals are typically the most time consuming to strip with the southern side being the exception if in full sun.

Rod~