Sign in to follow this  
KC Deck

Arbor questions?

Question

I have never done an arbor before. I have already stripped the deck, and now the arbor is next. Will the stripper that I am using for the arbor harm the already cleaned and stripped deck? and if so, should I give it another oxalic bath before staining the deck.

This deck is going to be featured in a Kansas City Home and Garden magazine, and I want to make it look perfect.

The stain on teh deck came off like a champ with s/h stripper, with only about a 5 minute dwell time. I think the owner had her deck stained right after she had it built, and the stainer did not give it a oxalic bath before he stained it. Could this be why it was so easy to strip. It was just stained last summer.

Thanks for the tips and advice.

2 answers to this question

For future reference it would probably serve you better to strip any accessories like trellises, planter boxes etc before you strip the floor. Not a big deal though. If it's feasible I would wet the deck first before applying stripper to arbor, then immidiately rinse again to prevent furring. After final rinse hit everything with the acid.

Some stains do not last long if the wood is not properly prepared. Then, there are some stains that are just not going to last long, HD and Lowes products fall into that category for example.

Ken gave some good advice on the rest...

Rod~