Sign in to follow this  
jnoden

clear sealers

Question

I know that most deck restore pros try to pursuade the potential customer to choose a tinted sealer (myself included). I know that they offer more UV protection. However, because a clear sealer takes less time to apply (sprays with less worry) you can typically charge a little less and often the home owner does not mind doing it every one to two years. Wolmans water based rain coat states that it offers 3yr protection and I would recommend it be recoated every 2-3 yrs with this sealer. It just seems that more clients are not as thrilled with the sealer as they are after I just clean the deck and many love the natural wood look. Also maintenance coats would cost a little lest and would be a breeze. What do you think?

5 answers to this question

All of what you mention is true until the customer says "I don't like the grey" Then you have to strip the seal coat to get the grey off. In the end it costs the customer more because you are performing a major strip much more often. If they like the grey look, why anyone would I don't know, then your plan is a good one.

I hear what you are saying about the gray look but how long does it take a deck with no shade to turn gray? I know some people like the gray look (not sure why either) and I know that Cabots and other stain companys market it and is a popular choice in stain color.

If they like the grey look, why anyone would I don't know, then your plan is a good one.

I had a customer pay me good money to PW a deck and stain it with grey Olympic. They were after the weathered grey look. And we did a great job. It looked almost the same when I left as when I arrived. The only plus is that the wood will be in better shape long term.

Go figure...