Sign in to follow this  
FullBlast

Window Haze?? Any Help

Last week I washed a brick house and used saferestore and the lady called back and said that the windows with screens in them have a film that she has tried everything on and can't get it off!!! I to go out sat. and take a look at it and see what the problem is. Saferestore is not to etch glass is it? A lil worried. Thanks for the help!!!!

You can not spray a solution through metal screens and rinse without leaving a film on them. She also most likely had a film (oxidation ) on them before you cleaned the house because the screens were never removed. Ask if she cleans the windows annually and has the screens removed. If she does get a acid window cleaner- you did it.........

The mess is probably more in the screens than anything else. Saferestore is safe on glass. It is possible that it was not rinsed well - you might want to call Lynn or Mark at Eacochem and just ask what their opinion is :)

I would definitely call Eaco. Hydrochloric acid and aluminum react pretty quickly. You may be able to buff it out or like jim suggested use an acid based cleaner which will actually etch more. I have never had to do this so I can't offer any other advice (I've had to buff windows from too hot a housewash mix just never intentioanlly etch the glass to fix damage)

fullblast, it is the screens that cause the white haze, you might have caused it but very unlikey, asked the customer if the screens were removed? (most likely never) and without seeing them heres my guess they are full andersen window screens,then check to see if there is a window without a screen and do a comparison. Here is what i would do, but charge her for it (this process will double the amount of time to clean her windows) (go to a restaurant/janitorial supply store and pick up 2 gals of liquid oven/grill cleaner and #0000 steal wool ( Home Depot/Lowes) also latex gloves and saftey googles. mix the oven cleaner at 50 percent with water (start with that strength and then you could increase to 75 percent with water) apply with a window cleaning mop (Home Depot/Lowes) apply just enough to get the window wet and keep it wet for 1 to 10 minutes dewell time (the trick is to let the chemical do the work and you will not have to buff the window as much), then take your steel wool #0000 and buff the window out then rewet the window with soap and water and squeegee (check to see if the white haze is still present and then re-apply and start to buff the window again ( this is were you can make adjustments to your chemical strength and/or dewell time) call me for more info and to answer questions.

Marino Ortega

A Reflective Cleaning Company

Mount Holly NJ

Cell 609 284 1725

Hey thanks everyone!! I was back and looked at it and it was always just where the screen was, it was streaked some places where there was no screens. I took some gs restoration along and scrubed 2 windows pretty good and most of it came off but I still just alil confused what it was. I gave tham some and they said they would take care of it. Thank goodness!