Sign in to follow this  
Jonathan Chiplock

Extend-a-wand Problem

Question

Ever since I bought my extend-a-wand three years ago, when I use it I have trouble locking the pins into place so it never stays extended for very long. I havent used it a whole lot but now I am doing more house washing and use it a lot. It is becoming very annoying. Has anyone else encountered this and is it something I should call the company about. Thanks.

Jonathan Chiplock

12 answers to this question

Using an X-jet, I have STILL have instances where an extension wand was necessary (meaning I put the X-jet on the end of the extension wand.....i don't think I could have reached it from the ground without BOTH.)

Ever since I bought my extend-a-wand three years ago, when I use it I have trouble locking the pins into place so it never stays extended for very long. I havent used it a whole lot but now I am doing more house washing and use it a lot. It is becoming very annoying. Has anyone else encountered this and is it something I should call the company about. Thanks.

Jonathan Chiplock

Why do you waiste your time posting the question. In the time it takes to get responses you may have already solved your problem by having called the manufacturer.

If the issue is with the equipment and it's not your fault then you should be on the horn without thinking of it twice!

Jonathan Chiplock

I've run into the same problem. Not sure what kind yours is, but mine is a 20 foot or so Simpson. A big yellow beast with an aluminum extension! The problem seems to be the black locking piece where the aluminum comes out of the yellow fiberglass - It wore out...

Since yours is over 3 years old - the manufacturer of it will most likely try to sell you a replacement wand... or (worse yet) a costly repair...

Simple solution: Extend that wand out all the way on the jobsite and wrap a bungee cord around the aluminum pole where it comes out of the fiberglass pole. Wrap it tight and secure it to itself, groan in anticipation of holding that thing, then pick it up and get back to work..... ;-)

And in response to the previous poster.......... I personally feel that nothing posted on this board is a "waste of time". If everyone just went ahead and solved all their own problems, and never looked for feedback from others here - then boards like this would cease to exist. I'm constantly lurking and reading new ideas and ways to problem solve.... (Just my 2 cents)

And in response to the previous poster.......... I personally feel that nothing posted on this board is a "waste of time". If everyone just went ahead and solved all their own problems, and never looked for feedback from others here - then boards like this would cease to exist. I'm constantly lurking and reading new ideas and ways to problem solve.... (Just my 2 cents)

I simply operate with different methods. Before looking for a 'bungee' solution I would have tried the man. first.

You would be suprised at the things you get if you just ask.

I was simply trying to push him in a more logical direction and it was not ment to be a put-down.

I also own a wand like that....their made in Canada I believe....at least it says so on the clips itself.

Since I've bought mine I have seen the company replace the clip type joints with the twist type. Hence another reason why calling the man. would be a smarter idea to try......they probably knew they had a defective product and may very well send him some new joints.

I would have tried the man. first.

You would be suprised at the things you get if you just ask.

I'll surely agree with that !!! just blew my demand switch (pressure switch) on my ShurFlo.......called the place I ordered it from to purchase a new switch (for $30 or so), well its back ordered and would be 2 weeks for them to get it....

as Washaway says, I called "the man" himself....called shurflo (mostly because I was looking for a local distributor around me) the guy talked to me for a bit, took my address and said he'll send one right out to me.....FREE

now that ROCKS!!!!!!!

I'll surely agree with that !!! just blew my demand switch (pressure switch) on my ShurFlo.......called the place I ordered it from to purchase a new switch (for $30 or so), well its back ordered and would be 2 weeks for them to get it....

as Washaway says, I called "the man" himself....called shurflo (mostly because I was looking for a local distributor around me) the guy talked to me for a bit, took my address and said he'll send one right out to me.....FREE

now that ROCKS!!!!!!!

I bought my ShurFlo setup at the same place where I purchased my rig. When it stopped working I took it in for them to have it tested (knew nothing about the pump at the time and was too busy to start playing with it).

They automatically started with having to purchase a $50 switch but if that wouldn't solve it then they would be most helpful in selling me another one for $270.

I asked them if they would warranty it, after all the papers they photocopied for me said 1 year warranty and 2 years conditional. At the time I was exactly 2 months over the 1 year mark.........to the day. Do I have to explain the faces they made.

I thought to myself 'have a good day and I'll deal with it on my own'. Shurflo secretary had answered the phone before I could climb into the truck and the sales person she forwarded me to offered to send me a switch for FREE. If that wouldn't solve my problem then I was to call a supplier in Georgia who sells them (brand new) for $139 + $15 shipping.

This alone left a horrid taste in my mouth, with respect to my supplier.

The truth is that if my supplier would have atleast attempted to contact the man. and ask if it would be warrantied, or better yet would have been willing to mail the pump in and see what happens, I would have been more than happy to pay the shipping charges. For all I know he could have pretended to call someone and lied that they said NO, and I still would have cut him a check.

I'm glad he refused to humour me and he made the face he did b/c I saved a ton of money and learned a valuable lesson!

THE END

It amazes me the difference in price of shurflos from dealer to dealer. When I first started my business I bought most of my initial supplies from a local dealer and found out later that I could have bought most of the same equipment from cheaper online dealers, for sometimes, more than 1/2 of what the local supplier was charging. Northern Tool just had a sale on Shurflo pumps: 1.8gpm =$54.00 Local suppier sells only 1gpm for around $100. Go figure. Not to mention, I don't have to spend half a day driving to the other side of the city.

Im thinking about ordering that same pump from northern, just as a backup...for that price, dont think you can go wrong......I carry around a pump up, which I hate using..............

I've ordered all my sureflos from Northern. Never a problem. Whenever I buy a part that is critical, I always get an extra for spare parts. I also learned that the spare parts and appropriate tools need to be in the trailer all the time, and not left in a box back at the shop.

What I did to fix my Extendawand was to take the holes in the wand and drill them out just slightly. It worked for awhile. Make sure you don't make the holes too big. I just do it enough to make the holes sharp again. You can only do this so many times though before the holes will get bigger. The problem with the locking pins is that when we try and extend or shorten it we drag the poles against the pins in the inside.