Sign in to follow this  
Tronman

Picks of decent pump-up sprayer

Question

I was using a garden type pump up sprayer but it is not applying the chem in the quantity I need. It just spits out chem in a mist and the best I can do is get the roof to look wet. I am sure that these no-touch roof cleaning techniques (shurflo, x-jet, etc) are putting chem out in a much larger quantity and that is how the roofs are flowing clean.

How much chem should be put on a 10x10 roof area? - 1 gal, 1/2 gal?

13 answers to this question

How much chem applied per 10' x10' can vary greatly depending on how dirty the roof is. As far as pump up sprayers are concerned, Your better off buying a decent 3 gallon sprayer and upgrading to allow for more chemical flow and better duribility. I have a flomaster I bought from home depot, it has viton seals and the quility of the pump and the tank was fair, but as usuall, the wand, hose, and tip were completely mickey mouse. I replaced the hose with some 3/8" poly braid and of course I made the original 2' length a good 4' so I can have a little more reach. I bought a high quailty, chlorine spray gun from envirospec, fitted it with a 3' piece of cpvc for the lance and bought some higher flow plastic fan nozzle/tips from US Plastic. I use it daily to apply chlorine to driveways and such and it has held up well for 7-8 months. Side note: I used to use a back pack sprayer (which I really liked), but after the last chlorine burn on my back, I tossed it, and have found that the pump up hand held, if plumbed right, can be much more efficient.

I dont think your sprayer is the problem, most pump up sprayers work just fine. If you want more then a mist spray, change your tip. There are a large variety of tips for pump up sprayers just like the tips for your powerwasher. While your at it, look at getting a longer wand to go with your new tips as well.

This is the info I needed. I actually cut of the diverter on the end of the sprayers wand and it was spraying a good quantity.

I think I will make one also. They come in handy.

I used to use a back pack sprayer (which I really liked), but after the last chlorine burn on my back, I tossed it, and have found that the pump up hand held, if plumbed right, can be much more efficient.

The same thing happened to me yesterday. My back is burning now as im typing.

The same thing happened to me yesterday. My back is burning now as im typing.

Sucks doesn't it? I've had it happen about 3 times (even while being extremely careful) and decided I'd had about enough of that. I would have given it up after the first time if I hadn't really, really liked using those kind of sprayers so much.

I kept a raincoat in my toolbox for the times I used the backpack sprayer for this very reason (chemicals on my back). The coat's trashed now, but it saved me many times over.

Tip: If you do decide to go with a backpack sprayer or similar arrangement where the seals are at the bottom of the reservoire and are in constant contact, it's a good idea to empty the chemical out before putting it up for storage, even on the drive home. Some butyl cleaner chewed through my Viton seals overnight and made a mess of things (I forgot I had it in there by the end of the day and left it).

Shane,they work great for spraying chemicals.set up properly,charge it with air and chems.,you can spray all 5 gallons.no pumping at all.if anyone needs details,shoot me an email.

I like the 3 gallon Hudson pump-ups myself. One of the reasons is they can be rebuilt inexpensively. I replace the hose with longer 3/8" clear braided.

In any case, for safety reasons, pick one with pressure relief capabilities.

Please let me know how to set them up. I have gone through a lot of Flowmaster Pump up sprayers and would like something that would last. Please let me know how much it will cost for the parts and where you get them. I would like to know how to set it up before ordering. Thanks.