Sign in to follow this  
RCBill

A few questions from a newbie

Question

Greetings from the Cape Fear,

I would like to try Wood Tux on my next deck. I have read that the Wood Tux specifies one layer, where Ready Seal specs. two. If I am correct, the Wood Tux is actually less expensive than Ready Seal. Do I have that right?

Is it difficult to see the application of the Wood Tux stain on wet wood?

I read that many installers are using an airless or the deckster. I have an HVLP. Do you know of anything wrong with using the HVLP? Do you spray and back brush? Do you spray all surfaces?

What do you use to protect adjacent surfaces. What do you use to protect foliage?

How do your correct missing an area in cleaning when you return to stain?

How do you remove small spots of paint that a not-so-handyman left on the deck?

I am quoting a deck with several small levels a couple steps up-and -down from each other. There is some exposed support lumber that will need to be cleaned and stained. Do you quote this using sq.ft. plus PITA, or an other way? I can get close to time and materials.

I hope I am not asking too much.

TIA,

Bill

7 answers to this question

Bill,

We did a Wood Tux deck with Beth & Rod last week - padded pretty much the whole deck. We will be putting Wood Tux on a deck on Monday here - if our airless doesn't do the trick without adding the SC123, we'll be padding this one as well. If you want to give a call to get our findings - feel free :)

Celeste

Thanks for the response folks.

Beth, the thread that you provided a link to was informative. I'll need to acquire cotton sheeting. My only thought is something cheap at Walmart. Do you have a better source?

Celeste, I will call. I'd like to try the Wood Tux on my deck and specify it for my first client. She referred about $15k in painting work to me last year. So I gotta be good.

BL

SC123 is similar to mineral spirits or zylene (xylene) but it is hotter - takes higher temp to make it evaporate so the product that you're thinning stays thinner longer. Should be able to pick it up at a paint store (not home improvement).