Sign in to follow this  
seymore

Here we go again Hurricane season!

Question

Well it's getting an early start the tropics are brewing and it's heading to the Gulf of Mexico.

Watch out guys in La. and all along the Gulfcoast it's tracking ya'll way.

21 answers to this question

How the hell do you think I feel? I am right out in the middle of the Gulf right now, south of New Orleans. We watch these real closely out here. Look's like there is a possibility we could evacuate this weekend. I hate those things, it's a PITA to rig down, then come back and have to rig up everything. Here's a pic of the rig I am on right now.

post-252-137772143907_thumb.jpg

How the hell do you think I feel? I am right out in the middle of the Gulf right now, south of New Orleans. We watch these real closely out here. Look's like there is a possibility we could evacuate this weekend. I hate those things, it's a PITA to rig down, then come back and have to rig up everything. Here's a pic of the rig I am on right now.

Wow Bill - that's a pretty cool job! Do you fish from that thing? If so, what do you catch? How deep is the water under your rig?

the weather channel is running hurricane week and monday they had the story about the oil platform barge in the gulf a few years back that got caught and was being towed by 2 sea going tugs.....scary stuff

I rode thru plenty of those things back in my Coast Guard days....NOT FUN (except when its over and survived) there is no feeling in the world than watching a mountain of water heading straight for you.....pucker-pucker-pucker

Big Bill--------------HOLD ON TIGHT

Come on guys, you scared of a little WIND?

Heck I love breezy weather and wish we had more of it here in So. CA.

I mean we have a great vibrator which reeeellllllllllllllaaaaaaaaaxxxxxxxxxxssssssssss ME but need that breeze to blow dry my hair.

Hey Bill nice rig :cool:

I have some friends who work for Superior diving Co. heard of them?

Stay safe out there :cool:

You guys down south cannot catch a break with the weather. I heard that this hurricane season is going to be pretty active so hang on.

FYI - calling for high 80's low 90's over the next couple of days in my neck of the woods.

FYI - calling for high 80's low 90's over the next couple of days in my neck of the woods.

We been pushin mid 90's and heat index in 100's

You'll can talk all the numbers you want, but until you add Florida humidity to the equation, you ain't seen nothin'. You walk out the door in within one minute your drenched from head to toe.

You'll can talk all the numbers you want, but until you add Florida humidity to the equation, you ain't seen nothin'. You walk out the door in within one minute your drenched from head to toe.

Amen to that! Thank goodness it's only two months that are really unbearable.

I've been looking at nothing but clouds+rain showers+lightning in the forecast for the last week and the upcoming week aswell.

My grass has had enough.

Hey Bill nice rig :cool:

I have some friends who work for Superior diving Co. heard of them?

Stay safe out there :cool:

Had Superior do some leg inspection work for us a couple of years ago. Good little co. They did a good safe job.

Come on guys, you scared of a little WIND?

Heck I love breezy weather and wish we had more of it here in So. CA.

I mean we have a great vibrator which reeeellllllllllllllaaaaaaaaaxxxxxxxxxxssssssssss ME but need that breeze to blow dry my hair.

A little wind? I have seen the wind guage pegged out at 120 mph more than once. On this particular rig, we broke tow line for over 24 hours in 20+ seas off the coast of Scotland. Thats a pretty scary situation. One of the sister rigs, same design, sank in a storm while under tow from Nova Scotia to Scotland back in 1990. 27 people survived in an escape capsule for over 36 hours.

Worst wind I have been in was in 1990 while riding my motorcycle though Albuquerque to Toas NM. Remy was on bike and towing our little camping trailer.

All I can say is for the whole time till we got out of Santa Fe it was blowing so bad I had to lean hard into it to keep from being pushed over.

Bike weighted around 970 pounds plus Remy and I and trailer with camping gear and stuff in it. Once out of Santa Fe it was nice riding all the ways up to Toas.

I know I live on the wild side and would love to experience being in a gail or cane, call me reckless but I seek that stuff, like roller coaster rides, the faster and longer, steeper the more fun.

Yet I do feel for you guys that have to live in the path of one not knowing till it lets down who gets hit bad and who is spared any damage.

Tropical Wave, I believe the Coast Guard has boats that are suppose to flip in weather like that then righting itself without ever sinking, now there is something I would love to experience, a boat totally flipping over under water then righting itself.

Had 2 hurricanes hit just north of us last year. It was fun. Knowone could work so we fired up the grill, stocked up on the essentials (alcohol, ice, steaks - in that order) and had a party. I even cooked pasta on the grill in 45 mph winds. It was NOT fun being without power for 9 days during the first and 11 during the second (*%#$ FP&L). 3/4 inch plywood on all the windows sure made a difference. My house was quiet as can be but my friends house w/ the 1/2 inch was scarry as hell. During the second cane, I woke up at 3AM and opened the front door almost lost the door AND my arm. The wind must've been 100mph. It's amazing how many homes still have shingles missing and tarps on their roofs. I should've been a roofer!

Tropical Wave, I believe the Coast Guard has boats that are suppose to flip in weather like that then righting itself without ever sinking, now there is something I would love to experience, a boat totally flipping over under water then righting itself.

the 44 footers can right themselves, if I remember right (its been awhile) those were called the MLB's (motor life boats).....and the newer 57 (I think) footers have the cabability to self right also......but they dont do it as fast as you would like, the guys are under water for a minute or so and get banged around pretty good......but the bigger cutters (270' and the 378') will sink like a stone.