Sign in to follow this  
Beth n Rod

Cedar deck stripped, sanded, sealed!

Question

Here's one we finished up today. It's a cedar deck, has Sikkens Cetol DEK installed (poorly) and maintained ( even more poorly) by another contractor. Luckily, the owner saw the logic of having the whole deck sanded down to remove the severely raised grain before cracking and splintering set in.

Rod stripped the deck using HD-80 at 4 oz to the gallon, then we returned to sand the entire deck - floor, handrails, spinals, stairs, the works, back to smooth level wood.

The last step was to seal it, we used Wood Tux Warm Honey Gold. The owners were thrilled!

Beth :groovy3: :dancing:

post-1-137772143913_thumb.jpg

post-1-137772143916_thumb.jpg

post-1-137772143919_thumb.jpg

8 answers to this question

Geez that would take all day to sand,so that was like a 3 day job?

That job must have been a pretty penny to do all that cleaning and sanding then sealing.

I would guess a palm sander for the funky railing, along with some hand sanding to get into the tight areas.

I've never had a lot of sucess with a belt sander, just too erratic and easy to make uneven spots.

There were 3 of us on the deck, and it was an all day job. Rod used a drum sander onthe floor, and I used a palm sander and did hand sanding to get int othe tight areas. Used defelting pads on the outer band boards, and 4x4's as well. The customer was thrilled, paid cash, and tipped us. It was a three day job (trip wise), one to strip, one to sand, one to seal. Took about 3 hours to seal. About 6 to sand, and I'm not sure how long to strip...I think Rod did it in under 4 hours.

It doesn't include the interior of the porch, just the lattice work around it. The interior we will do next year. The porch is sunken, there are two steps down, so it should not harm the deck when we do. This was a fun job. It is always nice when the clients are really nice people too.

Beth :sunshine: :groovy:

p.s. it rained about 2 hours after we applied the sealer, we went back and checked it, it was fine.