Sign in to follow this  
Beth n Rod

Masking tools for sealing wood

Which of these do you use when you mask a job for sealing wood? (multiple choice)  

296 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these do you use when you mask a job for sealing wood? (multiple choice)

• Plastic
    • Clamps
    • Canvas Tarps
    • Pre-Taped Plastic
    • Paper
    • Painter's tape
    • Sheets
    • Shower curtains
    • Pre-wet concrete, flagstone etc, with NO masking
    • Pre-wet concrete, flagstone etc, then mask on top
    • Spray Shield
    • I don't mask at all
    • Other - see thread

Question

27 answers to this question

We always use the tarps that are absorbent on one side and impermable on the other side (butyl backed tarps?) for patios beneath the deck. Plastic leaves spills laying on top which can then be accidently spilled on the concrete or stick to shoes. Canvas does not absorb larger spills. I guess you could lay down plastic and then canvas on top. Same idea. We use light plastic spray shields even after masking everything to control over spay from traveling far and getting on thigs.

On the last couple of jobs, when I've been solo, I've used the 9x12 canvas tarps. I drape it over the fence then lift it up and spray under it, move it down the fence and do the same thing. Kind of like spraying under a tent if you will. Makes a HUGE difference to over spray, especially when I'm close to another structure. The tarp is soaked by the end of the job. Each one cost about 11 bucks, just figure it into the cost of the job. I dispose of them at the local Haz Mat depot.