Sign in to follow this  
wesley

Paint Removal

Question

A customer would like for me to remove green paint from a brick wall that runs across the front of their property. I am not sure what type paint is on the wall but I would think just regular exterior latex. Does anyone have any suggestions on what would strip this the best?

10 answers to this question

A customer would like for me to remove green paint from a brick wall that runs across the front of their property. I am not sure what type paint is on the wall but I would think just regular exterior latex. Does anyone have any suggestions on what would strip this the best?

Use a turbo nozzle....just make sure you tell her ahead of time that you don't clean up the paint chips.

There's nothing worse than trying to rake wet paint chips.

A turbo nozzle will work, but... you run a real risk of leaving the underlying brick covered in swirl marks and the force of using that much pressure will most likely cause efflorescence. For a small retaining wall, the risk may be acceptable. I have been using a product called Peel Away 6 (made by Dumond Chemical) when more caution is needed such as on storefronts or houses. It is pricey but has no caustics and doesn't need to be neutralized. Cleanup is a breeze.

I can't imagine telling a customer they have to clean up my mess. If I bid the job, it includes leaving the property cleaner than I find it.

you could put down canvas tarps or bed sheets along the wall, the water will pass thru and the chips will be caught......you aren't gonna catch them all, they will fly all over the place, but many will be trapped.

the brick will be stronger than the mortar, be careful with crazy high pressure.

I can't imagine telling a customer they have to clean up my mess. If I bid the job, it includes leaving the property cleaner than I find it.

There are certain things in life I'm not willing to do. Not because I'm above it but b/c I choose not to bother with the headaches.

I do a lot of paint prep (for homeowners & painters alike) that include quite a bit of paint stripping. To this day I've had not one customer complain when I've informed them that I do not clean up the paint chips. Also, I do not perform window cleaning........have had no problems there either.

Wesley, i recently completed a paint removal job on a brick wall, be careful with your quote it can be time consuming i only charge by the hour on paint removal jobs also be careful with the turbo nozzle or you may blow out the mortar i used a heavy duty paint stripper 70% methylene chloride based about 5min dwell time agitate with a stiff broom then turbo off from a safe distance you may not get everything off as sometimes the paint can eat into the brick and stain it.

Prosoco Fast Acting Stripper, and turbo, not close enough to damage mortar or brick. It is a very labor intensive process(paint removal from brick) so you need to price accordingly. I would recommend doing a sample for the owner that way they can tell you if they are happy with the results and you will know what it will take to do the job.

Thanks guys for your replys. We already completed the job and everything went great. Started out using Jaxco( I think I spelled this right ) paint stripper, but it made the paint come off in tiny pieces. After about a 4' section I only used 200 degree water and 15 degree nozzle and the paint peeled off in large chunks making it much faster than using the stripper.

Involving the application of chemical coating or impregnation of wood peeling paint of the wooden surface of the chemical bath method. This is expensive, messy and time-consuming. As a chemical highly toxic solvent fumes amateur must take care of.