Sign in to follow this  
shrido

Property line fence

Question

Hello all,

As a "lurker" on this and other boards for many years, the search function has finally failed me. I am thinking of branching into the wood stuff(decks and fences) so my question is this, How do you handle fences on the property line? to me this is a silly question, I mean how do you do the other side of the fence on someone elses propery? Who pays for that? and what if you cant get access to that side? Please help with this delimma as wood seems to a good thing to do also. And to add to a post a while back about what we do, I am a active duty soldier in the army here at Ft Bragg. so i dont have a booming biz like some of you.

Yours trully

John Shride

5 answers to this question

It depends on whom owns the fence. If it's split or back to back fencesyou try to sell the other homeowner your service. Tell them you will give them a good deal if they both go in on it. I find most people will not. No big deal, you just do one side then. If the fence is owned solely by one property owner you're gonna need to give the neighbor a heads up that you are going to be on their property. Expect skepticism and a ton of questions.

I agree with Ken, if the fence is on the line. It is also worth asking if the fence is inside thier line, and also who paid for the fence if it went up after the home. Some folks will build just inside thier line so they don't need to worry about asking neighbors, others may feel inclined to have you do the whole fence both sides, if they paid to install it, with just a simple nod of approval from the neighbors. In this case, we have found neighbors don't seem to mind, since they didn't buy the fence and are getting something clean to look at, no cost to them.

Good luck!

Beth

John

Well who pays for what depends on your customer.If they are willing to pay to seal both sides of a "new" fence because they paid for all it and want to protect it it's up to them.

If your customer wants to do both sides and they need to talk to all the neighbors to get ok to go in there yard.Also you need to look behind the fence to see if you need to protect anything from overspray.Then you will need to get permission to get in their yard.

Remind them the fence will still rot on the back side if only one side is done. :cool:

I had a customer last year that didn't get along with their neighbor so they paid me to take down the sections of fence, stain them and put them back up. Believe it or not it probably saved me a ton of time because the neighbor had a 4 foot fence they refused to take down when the new one was put up and I would have had to work around it.

I always leave it up to the customer to let neighbors know that I will be in their yard working on a fence. Haven't had a problem yet. Knock on wood!