Sign in to follow this  
racechaser

cleaning copper awnings and gutters??

Question

I've been wanting to ask this and keep forgetting. We have a lot of high end commercial and residential properties with copper gutters and awnings.

Is there something available commercially to restore the copper on these buildings? Do any of ya'll do that ?

I mean I know there is that stuff you can buy at drug stores they show on TV.You know, dip the penney in and it comes out clean.But that could get rather expensive doing a whole gutter system or awning.Have ya'll used that before on copper fixtures???

Just curious because I've never seen anything that I can recall.

Thanks

Scott

21 answers to this question

It won't lower your car insurance rates......:)

Too funny...:rotfl:

I'm starting to that that damm commercial they play it soo much!

Interesting stuff...

We have used basic copper cleaner - you can get it in the grocery store. Works fine, but it is a polish (think) rather than a liquid... I'll try the lemon juice and salt on my copper bottomed pots.

Beth

Be careful if you're assuming everyone will want the copper restored. My experience has been that most customers want the old, aged patina look. Plus, realistically, even if you do clean them, in hardly any time, mother nature will have them looking once again like they do now.

It never hurts to be prepared to clean them, but don't be surprised if you get some objections.

If you are going to use muriatic acid you'd better come up with a way of neutralizing it quickly. Hydrochloric acid and copper aren't good bedfellows.

Ah. Okeydokey. missed that word. I'll pass that on to a past customer. They wanted me to clean a copper [don't know what the name is, but its a small roof over a bay window] thing on their house.