Sign in to follow this  
Duncan W.

Need Help On Pricing First Deck Job

Question

Ok all of you that do wood, this is my first deck job and I need some help on pricing. I have to give a bid on (17) 12'x40' decks at our local Tech College. All they want are them cleaned and prepped for painting. No rails on any of these just the flooring, rail will be built after cleaning. Any help on this would be greatly helpful.

Thanks in advance,

Duncan

4 answers to this question

Tell us some more about the decks. Are they ground level, is there a stain already on them? You need to talk to them about the paint. Try to lead them to stain and away from paint. If they want the painted look then thay need to go with a solid stain. If you would like give me a call.

Roger

Not sure what they look like yet going to look at them this morning,the contractor called me last night and didnt give me many details. I am going to take some pics if if ever quits raining.I will definatly talk to them about staining instead of painting.They way he talked there wasn't anything on the wood as far as stain or paint.

Pretty sweet first job! I do alot of prep cleaning for a painting contractor, mostly wooden houses. He uses Cabot's stain or Benjamin Moore paint, but he always requires me to use tsp/bleach/jomax. You won't need jomax for decks, but find yourself a pool chlorine dealer it'll be cheaper.