Sign in to follow this  
Beth n Rod

Which softwoods have you worked on?

Which types of softwoods have you worked on?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Which types of softwoods have you worked on?

• Cypress
    • White Cedar
    • Western Red Cedar
    • Douglas Fir
    • PT Pine (CCA, CA, ACQ)
    • Pine (not pressure treated)
    • Redwood
    • Spruce

Question

11 answers to this question

All of the above with the exception of cypress......I expressed my theory in some thread a few weeks ago.....I see the quality of wood change DRASTICALLY from one house to another, no matter the kind of log. If i were to ever build a log home, I'd have a suberb handcrafter do it that picks his own trees, the only way to control quality. I can just find no other way to explain why one SYP house is 50% rotten in 10yrs, while another is neglected, 20yrs old, exposed, and solid as a rock. It has to be a batch-to-batch issue, or something i cannot grasp.

.....aaaand, I don't see decks as much different. I see neglected pt decks in awesome shape, and I see maintained Redwood that looks bad. I've seen enough decks and homes maintained/not maintained where the status of the structure leads me to question whether or not we as wood rest. contractors even provide that valuable of a service. Tough to hear, but I sometimes question it.

I agree with you Jon. We have seen the same thing. I have seen PT decks that were 20 years old and look a year or two tops, and 5 year old decks that look 15!

I have seen Ipe that I have even questioned, but it is far more rare...I have seen an Ipe board split and warp. I have seen it splinter. It's a minority, but a concern as well.

Around here some communities the builders took shortcuts on the "two tone" decks that were installed. They built the floors from PT, and the rails from plain (not pt) pine, then painted them while damp and the owners are watching them rot - and these are 2nd story balconies with little kids that hang on the rails and things like that. Makes me sick, and maked me worry. Had a builder try to pawn off their rotten wood on us, saying it was because we cleaned and sealed the floor that their rails rotted. NOT! The rails were out of warranty and the builder refused to do anything about it. We felt horrible for the owner, and helped them go after the builder. Meanwhile she had to keep her toddlers away from the rails.

Beth

Jeez, that is bad even for "back east" standards:) These McMansions ar just crazy---6K sq.ft with vinyl siding on the gables, Pergo floors, etc......i've seen entire subdivisions where the homes were literally cracking down the middle, a jagged line going down the bricks from top to bottom. My cousin does HVAC and he has to go in and re-duct houses, because they use the wrong size duct vs. unit and their A/C unit runs at about 30% it's capacity, makes you not want to buy a house......I wish I could afford an Airstream Trailer and I'd just hook that to my truck and chill:)

Regarding softwoods, I've seen a company that builds cypress log homes that guarantees them for 60yrs not to rot....not sure what maintenance is required to keep the warranty however, .....they say cyp. is less prone to rot due to where it is retrieved--Florida.

I have worked on all plus Yellow Alaskan cedar- Port Orford cedar Which could be considered a hard wood and is the most difficult to take care of. Redwood old growth I have two is very easy and beautiful. Cypress and doug fir takes a couple of years to get any penitration of oil. My brolaw lives in Alaska and sent me some PT doug fir. The deck builder looked at him funny when he asked for a sample to send to me for advice on how to treat. Because nobody does treat it.!

There is so much cool wood out there---ever seen an australian cypress floor?? Awesome looking. James, how in the world did you end up working on alaskan cedar?? Sounds like a customer with too much money, and just had to do something to be different.