Sign in to follow this  
anniered

Help on deck

Question

Well, we stained our first deck, using Wood Defender Deck Stain (oil based) and was very happy with it when we left, but when we returned the next day, found some very "shiney" spots. At first I thought it might be I had left too much on, but not really sure what happened. Any suggestions on why? and what the heck do I do now. I tried mineral spirts but all that did was take a a little bit off the top.

post-1143-137772144423_thumb.jpg

11 answers to this question

You should just call Standard Paints and ask them what they recommend you should do.

I would think wiping the deck down with mineral spirits would get rid of those spots but that looks like a lot of wiping.

You might have to clean the deck again and start over.

Those shiney spots are usually caused from stain that didn't fully penetrate, and dried on the surface. It could have been that the surface was not clean enough to allow the stain to penetrate, or too much was applied, or not properly backbrushed.

I'd do what Shane said and utilize the customer support available.

I agree with Tony about the surface probably not being quite ready to accept stain......we did a very large deck that we had stripped a solid from - there were some places that the old stain did not come off and where the Wood Defender was applied, it was shiny. Call Brent or Todd - they'll tell you exactly what to do.

Celeste

Anniered,

I ran into the same problem three yrs. ago on a deck that I overapplied Wolman's F&P oil based stain. I used a product called Wil-Bond to remove the excess stain with good results.

Here is a link to a thread on another board, with pictures. Scroll down a ways to my post.

http://www.deckcare.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=436&highlight=Wilbond

Beth,

Have not had to use the Wil-Bond again, but it certainly worked well. I redid that deck early this spring with RS, and did not noticed any difference in the areas where the Wil-Bond was used. Of course, there was hardly any stain left!

:lgangel: Thank everyone for their advise..not sure what to do yet..customer has not really complained..but this is a great site and Shirley and I apprecite all your help and assistance

Denny & Anniered

The shiney spots will reduce over time. I had the same thing happen. What I contributed it to was several factors. One, if applied in direct sunlight it will flash and any stain applied over the flash area with shine (over application). Two, the deck was hot in temperature creating the flash.

The new formula of deck stain should alleviate this.

reed

After you have encountered this you will learn to spot it as it is about to happen. Keep an eye out for how well your boards are absorbing product. You are looking for a board that doesn't appear to be as absorbent, or a board that is only partially absorbent. Your board that seems slow to absorb, is the one to watch. Hope this helps.

You can keep mineral spirits or xylene on hand and put a little on a rag and rub the shots out if it is still tacky. If not still tacky the shinnies are more difficult/time consuming to remove.

Beth

I really thought I was watching it as i was applying the stain, but it was HOT here in Texas that day and the next day when I saw it, other than being sick, I used mineral sprits and it worked on the first few spots, but at that moment, it was 100 degrees and right in the sun, so I deceided to wait until the next morning when the sun was off the deck, and I now know..that was a mistake. I was going to go there tomorrow and try xylene, but in reading Beths message, that may not work either..

See advice in this thread. http://www.thegrimescene.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4038

Don't feel badly that you didn't catch the shiny spots before you left. Sometimes you have to look at the deck from different angles and sides to catch them. The rest of the deck may go from wet looking to more satin like or dull, and the shiny spots will not.

Beth