Sign in to follow this  
dlamontm98

Pressure washer from Home Depot

Question

I have seen the pressure washer from home depot--the washer is the gas type with cold water---is this the right type of pressure washer to get started with or do you absolutely need hot water.

6 answers to this question

For wood, cold water is what you need.

For house washing and flatwork, hot water is far better.

You can always start with one and work your way up, but if you do, at least go with a Honda engine.

Beth:cool:

For occasional use, a direct drive unit is fine. For a full time business, a belt driven unit is better for the wear and tear, which are NOT sold at THE Home Depot.

On the other hand, my first two cold water machines were direct drive Excell washers from Home Depot. 11 & 13 horse Hondas, attached to Cat or AR pumps.

These are rated for lifes of 1000 hrs for the pump, and 2000 hrs for the engine. Mine have lots more hours than that.

Belt drives provide a longer pump life, are smoother running, and often more fuel efficient. They are also a little heavier than direct drives, which may make a difference if you are working by yourself.

I now have 2 belt driven and the original 2 direct drives, which are still used almost daily.

I say continue your research and buy the best you can afford.

Thanks for your replys -- I was just wondering if these pressure washers would be good for concrete washing. I am adding a new floor service---concrete cleaning and sealing--possibly staining too.

I am getting ready to bid on a warehouse job for concrete cleaning and sealing. I will be using a stripper and degreaser to remove all the dirt and oil. I will be using a 20 inch rotary machine to scrub the floor (I know you can use a pressure washer in this area as well) then I will vacuum up the excess water--then apply 2 to 3 coats of sealant--and burnish the concrete finish.

Any comments or suggestions would be great.

For concrete cleaning, hot water is better, but you can use cold. We used cold for a few years until we got hot water. Wish we had the hot water years ago, but you have to start with what you can afford. Some companies will lease a hot/cold unit. You might want to check into it.

Beth